Itunes ending?

Ok, can someone who understands mac technology help me understand this? Basically I’ve got about 25,000 mp3s and specific playlists, and how am I gonna organize and listen to them without itunes? Is the new “music” app gonna still be able to play them without dumping them into the cloud? I’ve got a LOT of stuff that isn’t available on streaming services… local bands, my own music etc…

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-05-31/apple-s-future-ios-13-macos-10-15-watchos-6-tvos-13-mac-pro

1 Like

iTunes was a resource pig and and a UI nightmare. Good riddance.

There are more than a few alternatives out there that are much better.

2 Likes

such as? That work with mac and the iphone?

1 Like

Foobar2000

Plus like a dozen of music managers for linux.

4 Likes

LMGTFY…

The one thing you will lose is the cloud connection to apple which means you will have to back things up yourself.

Which is what some of us already do!

Thank you.

1 Like

Foobar. It just plays the music.

1 Like

From what I gather it will be 3 new dedicated apps for music/video/podcasts.
Could try those at the least. As stated above iTunes has been a bloated resource hog for a long time. It really needed to go.

2 Likes

As I understand it, “iTunes”, the bloated app that currently handles your music, movies, podcasts, etc is likely going away, to be replaced by (at least) three dedicated new apps dedicated to Music, Movies, and Podcasts. The Music app will absolutely play all of your playlists and mp3s while also doing streaming.

This tells me that Apple has finally heard people complaining about the shitty UI in iTunes and has overhauled it.

3 Likes

OK cool. that’s what I wanted to hear! I guess I can see the complaints about them trying to make itunes do too much, but i don’t use all those other features and the music library part and how I have my mp3s labeled and organized in it works great for me. If they are just taking that part and getting rid of the rest and renaming the app I’ll be happy. If they suddenly decide I can’t play anything but music that’s available in their streaming service I’m gonna be really pissed.

1 Like

Just as an update, Apple confirmed today that iTunes is being replaced by three new applications:
Apple Music (mp3s, the iTunes store, and streaming audio)
Apple Podcasts (uh… podcasts)
Apple TV (movies, streaming video)

And they also confirmed that Apple Music will play all of your old mp3s.
Note that they also mentioned that Windows users will still use iTunes.

3 Likes

Any windows user still using iTunes deserves it.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.