James Earl Jones has signed over Darth Vader's voice to artificial intelligence

Originally published at: James Earl Jones has signed over Darth Vader's voice to artificial intelligence | Boing Boing

6 Likes

Yeah, out of all the iconic SW characters I think using machines to replicate the voice is probably most defensible for Vader. Even replacing C3PO’s voice with AI would seem less appropriate, somehow.

9 Likes

I think I suggested this in an Obi-Wan thread. I like the idea. The voice really does add so much to the character.

3 Likes

Not a fan of the original David Prowse voice, eh?

6 Likes

Always thought the Vader mask was mostly about converting Hayden Christensen voice to James Earl Jones …plus breathing (sound); now it might break the functional fourth wall.

3 Likes

2 Likes

As long as they keep the voice actor who does all of R2D2’s beeps and whistles.

8 Likes

For this use case i dont think its necessarily a bad thing, the voice is altered to begin with and there have also been other voice actors that have lent their talents for SW/Darth Vader related projects.

3 Likes

I assume that’s Michael Winslow, right? He’s only 64 so hopefully he can stay in that role a bit longer.

11 Likes

Maybe they can also use it to scare the shit out of some Russian draftees, help them make the right choice…

2 Likes

The voice of SkyNet?

Signed over his voice to an A.I?
Usually that kinda trade is the domain of sea witches…

3 Likes

4 Likes

I was just watching an interview with Jess Harnell, who gets tapped to “double” for Christopher Walken. Walken was impressed enough with his accuracy to say “next time, you do it all, and I’ll lip-sync!” Harnell copied Steve Perry too well in his mash-up band Rock Sugar, enough that Perry sued under the theory that Rock Sugar had just stolen the vocal track. The judge agreed that no, it was Harnell singing, but that people would reasonably assume it was Perry, and found for Perry!

Anyway I bet Harnell (who is also the voice of Wakko from Animaniacs) could copy Vader better than an AI, at least for another few years.

2 Likes

Reminds me that I’ve had this one on my to-watch list forever. Must get to it…

2 Likes

:roll_eyes:

Still love his performance in the Hunt for Red October the most.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.