Japanese pro wrestlers know how to make an entrance

Originally published at: Japanese pro wrestlers know how to make an entrance | Boing Boing

2 Likes

We have a word for that- it’s called Theatre. :grin:

Manly bros don’t want to call it that because Reasons, but there’s no shame in enjoying theatre for what it is. For a lot of men who watch it, there seems to be a need to not admit that’s what it is for fear of not being allowed to enjoy it anymore or something. No doubt it’s rooted in homophobia.

10 Likes

Pro wrestling is definitely theater. Whenever I pitch it to my artistic friends, I present it as such.

I find it to be the best way to bridge the interest gap.

9 Likes

It worked on me! I used to think it was unwatchably stupid, but somewhere along the way someone framed it the right way for me, and now I can enjoy it! I’m not a regular fan or anything, but I appreciate it and no longer think it’s stupid. Also a few documentaries about the genuine athleticism those guys have and how difficult the stunts they’re doing actually are helped a lot.

8 Likes

I hated wrestling for a decade before I became a hard core fan. It’s all about having a friend that knows how to package the pitch.

6 Likes

I didn’t realize just how scripted they had become, with complete multi-season story arcs, failures, redemption, romance, etc. Now that I understand they’re a soap opera taking place in and around a wrestling ring, it makes more sense. I still won’t watch any of the wrestling shows, but I better grasp their popularity.

7 Likes

World Thespian Entertainment!

Though, I guess it is dance too. :smile:

2 Likes

Hi. The Japanese do not have a lock on great Professional Wrestling Entrances. Here are but a few.

Bobby Roode, NXT Takeover Toronto 2016.

2 Likes

Shinsuke Nakamura’s entrance from one of the Wrestlemanias was better, but you get the idea here.

2 Likes

The dude in the ring totally sells it with his reactions. Great job.

1 Like

I’m not sure Devin has watched much American wrestling. It is just as absurd. It’s neat to see this Japanese version - it is also good/absurd. Fun stuff.

Absurd?
giphy (3) (1)

3 Likes

Mmmmh, I always thought of it more as Ballet - where the story is conveyed through a sequence of highly codified choreographed movements , with some freedom, but little improvisation.

That would be an even harder sell, though.

3 Likes

BATTLE BALLET!!!™

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.