Rian Johnson says Dave "The Animal" Bautista is the best wrestler-turned-actor

Originally published at: Rian Johnson says Dave "The Animal" Bautista is the best wrestler-turned-actor | Boing Boing

8 Likes

I mean, he was pretty great in Glass Onion… But also, counter-point… Tor Johnson…

plan 9 from outer space mona mckinnon GIF by Maudit

22 Likes

His role in the recent Blade Runner film was brief but well done.

23 Likes

I can’t think of any other actor who could have better captured the emotional depth and nuance of Ed Wood’s dialogue.

12 Likes

André in The Princess Bride will always be the most memorable wrestler/actor to me.

Princess-Bride-Andre-the-Giant-1 (1)

28 Likes

My current thinking is:

• Andre the Giant was the most beloved wrestler-turned actor (and for good reason)
  • Dwayne Johnson is the most versatile wrestler-turned-actor (he learned to sing for Moana for Pete’s sake!)
  • Dave Bautista is the best wrestler-turned-actor when it comes to actual acting
34 Likes

Pop Tv Yes GIF by Schitt's Creek

OMG, how can I forget that!!!

Happy The Princess Bride GIF by Disney+

:smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

19 Likes

This, so much this. That scene sets the tone for the whole movie. There are so many subtle interactions in that scene between him and Gosling, and in the end, while he is forced to violence, it was after actively trying to avoid the confrontation that he knew was coming.

8 Likes

Most iconic role?
Top 30 They Live GIFs | Find the best GIF on Gfycat

16 Likes

Jesse Ventura. Although he wasn’t so much acting as being himself.

giphy (3) (1)

12 Likes

Oh god damn it! Him too!

Damn it!

What about the Rock? I know that he tends towards some big budget schlock, but I’ve heard good things about the show about his life, and I think he appears in it?

7 Likes

youre-welcome

13 Likes

“I am a healthcare professional…”

10 Likes

Ooh, a list!

14 Likes

Wood would have agreed and with absolute zero sarcasm.

5 Likes

He has the kind of great/interesting face that doesn’t require that he emote in order to deliver his performance. Depressive or comedic… doesn’t seem to matter.

9 Likes

George “The Animal” Steele (the original The Animal) also did some acting. He was also a gym teacher in the Metro Detroit area.

I grew up with him in the Detroit wrestling scene before the WWF came along.

4 Likes

I know he’s not a wrestler, but I enjoy Scott Adkins’ films. Partly because of his martial arts skills, partially because of his acting chops, and partially because he is a local guy made good. For a lad from Smethwick, he seems to play a lot of Russians.

3 Likes

The Rock plays “large bald man in a tan shirt with confused look” in every movie. I mean, if you know what you’re casting, he’s perfect.

5 Likes

Also Superman’s dog.

4 Likes