Japanese street interview: should Japan cancel the Olympics

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/03/18/japanese-street-interview-sho.html

4 Likes

I was just reading that Japan has a low number of confirmed cases because they’re mandating hospital confinement for everyone who tests positive - so people aren’t getting tested if they can avoid it.

Which is to say: I’m guessing the Olympics are getting canceled for this year, anyways.

3 Likes

Yes

Minimum eight characters? Really?

4 Likes

would it be so hard to just make it 2021? keep everything else in place, seating, selected athletes, etc.

if things have to be adjusted then do that but 80% should be the same

I mean it’s a pandemic, if we aren’t going to treat this seriously (and honestly, no-one is) well we are all doomed for anything more serious like climate change.

4 Likes

Japan also has a treatment they made for the flu that also works.

3 Likes

Anybody who listens to Harry Shearer’s fantastic Le Show understands the Olympics should probably be cancelled forever.

3 Likes

There are a few promising treatments popping up in various countries that could help Japan with the death rate in their elderly population; unfortunately that doesn’t change the reality of how much it may have spread, undetected. Hopefully the fact that Japan, with their elderly population and high-density living, normally acts in ways that help reduce the spread of viruses - e.g. good hand-washing hygiene, that even young people often wear face masks during cold and flu season, etc.

1 Like

This is what I came to say. Yes, the Olympics should be canceled, but not because of the coronavirus.

3 Likes

Ugh. The IOC is the most corrupt bunch of fatcats around. None of them will be risking their pudgy necks.

4 Likes

Its great to see that in a decently wide cross section of the population in Japan there are folks on both sides of the debate who can articulate intelligent responses to the question.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.