Japanese try western style sushi

I’d have to drive down to San Fernando Valley for that! (Still, there is a Mulberry Street Pizzeria nearby; only LA pizza I’d recommend w/o reservation. Time to kill two birds with one stone!)

So upshot is that the stuff called Nigiri in American sushi restaurants is like in Japan, and the “Fusion Rolls”, as they are often labelled, are not. Nor is California Roll. Makes sense from the name.

1 Like

Actually, Japan has some of the best pizza in the world. And, yes, I have eaten pizza in Italy and many ther places, including America…

3 Likes

Years ago, this would be true. It’s getting better, now. I started playing soccer for real in 1998, and loved it. Can’t anymore because of bad knees, but now I enjoy watching it.

It is my understanding that according to FDA (USDA?) requirements, all fish meant to be consumed raw served in the USA must be frozen for a certain period of time.

I live in a land-locked state, and there are at least two VERY good sushi restaurants in my city that I frequent. Both serve a mixture of very traditional sushi types, right alongside the ubiquitous (at least in the US) Uramaki (inside-out rolls) exemplified by the notorious California roll.

From another standpoint. Not every fish is available fresh-caught in every port. If you live in SanFrancisco, then you have a chance that whatever fish can be caught off the mid-coast of California might be served to you having never been frozen. Fisherman’s Wharf, I’m talkin’ to you…

But unless your actual local fisher-persons are catching exactly the fish you’ve ordered (and in season please) then it’s VERY likely the “fresh” fish you’re eating was frozen at some point on its journey to your mouth.

Note for the record: I love me some sushi, but I am highly conflicted by the carbon cost of what I’m eating.

5 Likes

I used to go to a laundrymat that sold Gimbap. Very good, but not sushi!

3 Likes

Thanks, I’m very aware of what gimbap is. And again, it’s not what I’m talking about.

Uh… ok?

It’s a korean dish that also uses raw fish and sushi rice.

We haven’t interacted before, so this response (“And again…”) seems a little weird. At least one person “liked” my link - sorry to hear that you didn’t?

And I can get authentic, Japanese-style sushi here in Atlanta if I go to certain places, but that’s not what the video was about. I was referring to this type of thing, covered in mayo. But hey, I’ve never been. Maybe real pizza is easy to get there, too.

1 Like

I’m not looking for an arguement. It was you who brought up pizza, so feel free to tell me exactly what you think the video was about…

1 Like

Not at all. I’ve explained the concept of sushi created by Koreans (as opposed to kimbap) repeatedly in this thread. Sorry for any confusion.

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/05/21/japanese-people-try-american-s.html

4 Likes

Just from casual observation, it seems that American’s taste for fish seems to correlate to how far from ocean they live. It seems that inland folk tend not to be big into eating fish as much as those who live on the ocean.

2 Likes

I guess there is some “American” sushi that is a bit, how shall I put it, “over-the-top” compared the most Japanese offerings. I’ve never been a fan of that stuff – which is almost always maki/rolls.

But I mean, there’s sushi available at every sushi place I’ve ever been to in my life, that is largely the same as what you’d get in Japan (and yes, I’ve been to Japan a couple of times, and eaten sushi there). Most nigiri is the same or very similar, although in Japan you’re typically going to get fresher fare, given the ocean proximity (Japan is an island, heh).

4 Likes
1 Like

apparently this is a very popular topic

1 Like

Many if not most Japanese sushi chefs age their fish in a refrigerator so “fresh” seems a bit odd to use as a metric. If your sashimi is soft and flavorful, it’s probably been dry aged. Before refrigeration, aging was done on the dock and during transportation simply because that’s what happens to fish. Now that the fish suppliers are so fast and efficient, sushi chefs have turned to refrigeration to get the proper sashimi.
So, this makes me wonder if the rolls these people had used fresh fish and therefore had almost no fish flavor. And of course, there is the misrepresentation of “American style” sushi. Most of the sushi I’ve been served in the states was a bit of rice, some wasabi, and a slice of sashimi aka nigiri. But then I don’t like rolls and I’ve seen those same monster rolls being served in Tokyo too.
Yes, you can get over the top rolls in America - just as you can in Hong Kong and Tokyo. Those things aren’t any more american than any other style of sushi.

3 Likes

People on the great lakes love eating fish!

Which is bizarre, because so little of it is sourced in restos from the great lakes. Whitefish and occasionally lake trout.

You want anything else of the multitude of tasty species in the lakes, you gotta go catch it yourself, which requires resistance to the cold or a boat later in the season.

4 Likes

I’m actually a Great Lakes native, and while it’s true there’s some love of some whitefish and walleye deep fried in beer batter, I just don’t think they’re as crazy about fish as much as those folks in places like the Gulf Shores and Seattle. Come to think of it, is freshwater sushi a thing?

3 Likes

Could be? The amount of time I’ve spent directly on the coast is relatively small. A lot of my time on the west coast was places like Portland, Sacramento, Lake Tahoe, etc. Basically, inland a ways.

Some of the Chicago fishing charters will make sashimi with freshly caught fish right on the boat. This is how you get parasites.

There’s nothing wrong with freshwater sushi (the original sushi was Crucian Carp), but you better do something to make sure all the parasites are dead. Freezing, fermenting, something. Saltwater sushi is fine, because it’s standard practice to freeze all freshly caught fish on fishing boats. Very few don’t immediately freeze it, is my understanding.

4 Likes