Japan's new cybersecurity minister admits never having used a computer

Does he know that his phone is a computer? Or maybe he doesn’t use phones either.

1 Like

Oh, I had a different reaction. In America, he’d be someone who was convinced computers were actually witchcraft, and should all be burned at the stake. Or a Chinese hoax, and did not really exist. Or he’d be the largest stockholder in the paper-index-card industry.

2 Likes

:wink:

2 Likes

Um… guys got a phone?

An interesting question. Japanese business phone etiquette used to be quite structured, with underlings contacting underlings before putting the bosses on the line. I’m sure cell phones have changed that.

2 Likes

Everything about law and lawyers involves confusing a knack for sophistry with intelligence, so it’s hard for them to realize that there are fields of human endeavor that fundamentally require some understanding beyond the ability to find a glib justification for whatever you wanted to do anyway.

4 Likes

See? Trump is not uniquely stupid :slight_smile: Other countries appoint the woo-woo-woo crowd too.

In my experience, secretaries or AA’s run the place, be it government or business. If you need assistance now, go straight to the AA. Sadly, they don’t receive the monetary compensation or accolades that commensurates their importance.

3 Likes

Good, That means he hasn’t picked up bad habits.

America’s CIO.

1 Like

I knew one such an MBA who managed to bullshit his way into a CTO position with a small company, making over 300k a year. He even said himself, “Man. This is going to be a lot of work being a non-technical CTO”. But he believed absolutely that he could do it.

Yeah, they fired him. You cannot even see how long he was there looking at his linkedin. I am not sure how long he lasted, but it cannot have been long.

Same guy many times told me, “Just lie on your resume–everyone else you are competing with will be”.

Getting my current job involved abou 20 hours of grueling technical interviews, including people with a whole lot of expertise asking very specific questions about everything on my resume, to weed out people who do that. I’m guessing the don’t put c-level types through that wringer, even if it’s the CTO, though.

3 Likes

In other Google Translate Japanese related news, I have been chuckling far too much over a search I was doing a few days ago. I’m holidaying in Japan over New Year, and plan to take one of the many tourist trains through part of Kyushu.

I’ll be taking the wonderfully quirky ‘Aso Boy!’:

But part of the line remains closed due to the 2016 earthquake, and recently bad weather caused other issues. Info on the English site was a bit sketchy, so I started browsing the Japanese language site with Google translating pages. It seems Aso Boy! is a tricky one - in one place the Japanese and auto translated English give:

• 特急 あそぼーい!

to

• Express on the tragedy!

And in another:

あそぼーい!

to

Motherfucker!

:grin:

I also must try some of Kurochan’s range of tasty treats onboard, especially:

"Adult Purine 330 yen (tax included) A popular dish in Aso. Because it uses rum for scenting, the scent of adults will fluently spread at the moment you put it in your mouth. "

4 Likes

Oh god, they mean “pudding,” don’t they.

2 Likes

I fear so. Interestingly, Bing Translate gets it right and returns ‘adult pudding’. And for the JR Kyushu status page shows ‘Oh fun!?!’ for Aso Boy! Although the meaning of some of the other text is rather more impenetrable than the Google variant…

That doesn’t surprise me; the train line is punning (?) on the Japanese verb “asobu” (“to have fun”), and “Let’s have fun!” is “Asobou!”, so, yeah, kinda.

ETA: Ah, I see the train also passes through the town of Aso, thus the pun.

2 Likes

Consider me educated :wink: I really must start my Japanese learning… Yes, I’ll be travelling Beppu to Aso, then on by bus to Kumamoto.

3 Likes

Makes me think of Jen in the IT Crowd…

9 Likes

i have never adopted any type of mobile phone whether dumb phone or smartphone, yet i have been using computers for almost 40 years and am very knowledgeable about them.

Your boss does not necessarily need to know exactly how to do your work. But they SHOULD certainly understand what it is that you are trying to accomplish.

One is reminded of the House Committee on Science and Technology under GOP control: Chock full of Climate Change deniers and Creationists…And most of them will still be there under Democratic control, but at least they won’t be in charge.

2 Likes