Japan's robot deity delivers Buddha's teaching

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/02/26/japans-robot-deity-delivers.html

4 Likes

I know no Japanese, but wouldn’t this essentially just be a podcast with a fancy interface? Or does she answer questions as well?

5 Likes

Now I’m imagining a weird SF future where Japan is almost entirely populated by robots and AIs who keep the Japanese culture going on as if carbon-based citizens weren’t a rounding error in the census.

7 Likes

Well I learned about Buddhism from Keanu Reeves in black face, so I can imagine this may just work.

2 Likes

Ah, now that movie showed an earlier prototype of robotic delivery of Buddhist teachings

10 Likes

I dimly recall one point in decades past when some religious authority decreed that a compact disc bearing the contents of the Tripitaka (or maybe it was some lengthier commentary?) could be the focus of veneration? Google is not helping me with the details.

3 Likes

Reminds me of one of the shorts from “Doomsday Book”. A robot which attains enlightenment.

Great film anthology. Highly recommended.

3 Likes

Embrace tranquility

12 Likes

Better than the real thing, um…

4 Likes

Surprised no one has mentioned The Nine Billion Names of God

12 Likes

I don’t know if this is the short story that spawned the video, but I was sufficiently impressed by it to keep the copy of Analog it was in: Buddha Nature by Amy Thomson. Still looking for an accessible link for the story.

1 Like

The uncanny sutra.

11 Likes

The Catholic Church should adopt these. ASAP.

9 Likes

Robot JWs at the door.

4 Likes

I don’t think this is a deity, it’s just Robot Buddha. Kami no Robo is Shinto, not really Buddhist.

3 Likes

Oh shit. You know what this means. After the Russian hackers have their way w/ this bot, the Buddhists will be utterly infiltrated by Trump-style devotees.

3 Likes

Hopefully it is not based on the Microsoft Tay engine.

5 Likes

This is the first time in decades I’ve wanted to go to church.

2 Likes

But can he airbend?

3 Likes

This is another proof that we live in a cyberpunk dystopia.
I only know stuff like this from Gibson novels.

7 Likes