Jaron Lanier's crazy idea for signaling/searching for ETs

Yes, but the problem is like saying we can do deep sea research by playing Subnautica (granted an excellent game). If you discover something in the game (even something that arose from emergent properties and not put there deliberately by the programmers), what’s the probability that this is applicable to the real ocean and not just the simulated one?

Perhaps I’m being a pedant, but I was responding to you with the quote from the original post in mind:

simulated realities that are functionally indistinguishable from physical reality

What’s posited in that phrase isn’t a “game”; it effectively is reality.

That said, if I’m understanding the spirit of what you (and a few others here) are saying, I agree. There will likely always be a handful of beings wanting the “real” reality no matter what the cost or danger. But I strongly suspect most wouldn’t care enough.

And how are they going to build and operate spaceships?

Moron

Yes, if we could make systems that would communicate at that slow of an interval. We already see that for fungus that some even have complex chemical signals, they may not be intelligent like us but I suspect they are akin to an intelligence. I don’t believe in a singular model for intelligence since I don’t think we can produce one even for our fellow humans and other animals that are very much like us (domestic dogs come to mind).

1 Like
2 Likes

Yes, if we could make systems that would communicate at that slow of an interval

We can do that, but why would we? Should we start from the presumption that there’s an intelligence there, simply because the chemistry is kinda complicated? I would argue yes, mind you, but I don’t think that’s a common opinion. A much more likely outcome is that we wouldn’t recognize that intelligence because it’s operating on mechanisms and time scales that are inhuman. If we start from the premise of assuming intelligence, we need to have a serious shift in our relationship to other organisms on this planet.

I think we’re on the same page, I just don’t think humans are going to recognize truly alien intelligences when we meet them.

1 Like

I find this unlikely due to the fact that current humans can imagine and construct such a hypothetical scenario. The only hurdle is dealing with bureaucracy of hypothetical future human cultures to adapt to unexpected scenarios like these.

turns out he’s just now no longer with us…

:cry:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.