Jean Baudrillard predicted the Pumpkin Spice Latte

Here’s one definition:

1. Be outstanding in their field
  2. Be in their productive years
  3. Have lost their position and generally be considered to be in some danger, whether for religious, racial, or political reasons
  4. Hold the promise of improving existing scholarship in American universities
  5. Have an assurance of a teaching position for at least two years—this visa requirement also benefitted the Foundation’s financial interests, as scholars without long-term positions would require additional resources.

From an article on the Rockefeller Foundation, which exfiltrated and then subsidized refugee intellectuals from Nazi occupied Europe.
The Anguish of saving Endangered Scholars

1 Like

It’s amazing how much corporate influence there has been in academia… right now I’m looking at dissertation completion fellowships, a many of them come from corporate money…

But also, do you think it’s the only definition? Does one need to be an academic to be an intellectual? Maybe there just isn’t one definition, though. There is this, then there is the Gramsican definition of an “organic intellectual” who is not from the middle class, but from the working class… But again, I think that probably means at least some engagement with academia…

Also, I promise I’m not trying to be difficult here, I really am curious! If we have a society that is anti-something, but what are they anti… :wink:

Well, those are not one definition, they are five criteria. I don’t like these because they imply interpretive bias according to institutional affiliation or social status.

I prefer to define “intellect” or “intellectual” as a discipline, process, or set of skills. Such as the use of scientific methodology, or reliance upon formal reasoning to understand phenomena. As such I consider it not as representing a class of person, but rather a way of doing things. This seems more functional to me.

I prefer to define “intellect” or “intellectual” as a discipline, process, or set of skills. Such as the use of scientific methodology, or reliance upon formal reasoning to understand phenomena. As such I consider it not as representing a class of person, but rather a way of doing things. This seems more functional to me.

So, how would you allocate the “Special Research Aid Fund for Deposed Scholars”?

It’s one definition. Considering the context, it may be an unfair definition. Or it may be a definition that matters. The use of limited resources to purchase the safety of as many intelectuals as possible.

hey, that sounds like economics. A perfect segue into Posner’s Public Intellectuals

Yeah, but isn’t there also a minimum velocity as well as a minimum dosage involved in that calculation?

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.