Jeff Sessions encourages courts to continue practice of fining poor people for being too poor to pay their fines

Emphasis on brave.

1 Like

“This is good government and prevents confusing the public with improper and wrong advice.”

That there is TGOP speak for “we’re going to fu#k you royally”.

5 Likes

I nominate Joel Hyatt for AG.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=o77n35p0sMQ

“Somewhere in all these dusty law books, a great idea got lost. The idea that law is for people, and people should be able to afford it.”

11 Likes

Hypocrites

also found:
a person who professes beliefs and opinions that he or she does not hold in order to conceal his or her real feelings or motives

1 Like

I think in the original Aramaic he calls them “shitbirds.”

11 Likes

The gettin rid of illegal immigrants is already an attack on lettuce. Just wait til you see what Iceberg is gonna cost a head next year

2 Likes

This topic is temporarily closed for 4 hours due to a large number of community flags.

This topic was automatically opened after 4 hours.

Sessions and his ilk got their gardening knowledge from the Bible - in particular, I suspect, the parable of Jesus and the fig tree (where he curses a fig tree for not producing fruit during the wrong season [because for some reason a story of Jesus being an irrational dick makes for a good parable]). Only these guys were all, “Serves the fig tree right for not producing fruit on demand,” and “What’s a parable? I’m a Biblical literalist.”

Yeah, such a system, used in places like in Finland, etc., seems the only reasonable approach. I recollect the head of Nokia getting a 100,000 Euro speeding fine back in the early 2000s (when Nokia and he were both rolling in money). It’s the only way for a fine to make an impact on someone making millions of dollars a year.

11 Likes

Good point, Javert.

1 Like

Not only Finland, but many European nations have adopted this concept for court-imposed penalties. The main reason why they don’t do it for everything is convenience, but also because the ticketing officer does not know what the income of the offender is.

1 Like

I don’t see the logic in the officer’s need to be aware of the income level of the offender. As long as the offender can show honest income/assets to the revenue authority when the fine is applied against the ticket, it’s not really the officer’s business, is it?

5 Likes

Guys like this kind of make you wish that we were still using that trusty old Guillotine!

1 Like

It’s pre-internet thinking, especially with out of nation visitors. Especially when you have the ability to pay the fine on the spot. If a traffic officer is assigning a ticket for a minor infraction, then the traffic court needs to have the income reported to it so that it can determine just how high the fine will be. And since income is considered a private matter, it is tricky determining who should translate a fine of, say, ten days’ income into actual Euros without involving too many people and also not causing a bottleneck.

1 Like

I have long wondered what mental institution Sessions escaped from! He appears to have an IQ of about 15…and The Heart of The Grinch!

3 Likes

Per the 13th Amendment, slavery is legal as punishment for a crime. Too bad the crime is Breathing While Being Black.

3 Likes

The fucked up thing is that even though we’ve outlawed debtors’ prisons, the court can order someone to pay their debt, and when they don’t, they hold them in contempt and sentence them to jail until it’s paid.

5 Likes

I’ve always thought they should base it on a percentage of gross income.

I had a friend get a 30 day licence suspension for OUI- If it were me, I would have lost my job, my apartment, fallen behind on all my bills, and literally ended up on the street. She went to Paris for the month and came back when the suspension was up.

9 Likes

I have given this very little thought, so maybe this is stupid, but…

Giving fines proportional to income is a good start, but it seems like it might be easy to weasel out of for the upper classes, who’s net worth or true income might be difficult to assess.

It seems to me that personal inconvenience is something of a constant though maybe? Or possibly slightly progressive? So community service or something of that nature?

There are probably nasty gotchas hidden in there though.

By pure coincidence, Trump (who has got his hand up Session’s back) has been all about rolling back rulings, regs, you-name-it, that just happen to favor people rather than himself and corporations… and one could argue that he’s done that via the democratic process.

1 Like