Jennifer Meeks, wife of GOP Rep, swaps out "Unchristian" books for Bibles in Little Free Libraries

Originally published at: Jennifer Meeks, wife of GOP Rep, swaps out "Unchristian" books for Bibles in Little Free Libraries | Boing Boing

4 Likes

My family borrowed this book from one of our local tiny libraries. Sounds like she would not have approved.

Also, do people like this truly believe that someone who would have picked up a “Pride book” at one of these libraries would take home a bible instead? Are there actually Americans out there who would love to read a bible but just never had the opportunity?

35 Likes

Need to gussy up a moral panic campaign? Just add needles.

37 Likes

She didn’t specify what type of needles. Maybe she was referring to supplies for those nefarious folks who are responsible for knitting those sweaters we saw on tree trunks during the lockdown.

37 Likes

Facial recognition would be good for activating teeth to bite the hand that tried to feed it.

Meeks? “christian” propaganda? nom nom nom…

18 Likes

Or a barcode reader to scan the book and activate accordingly.

9 Likes

She’s boasting that she spends as little as possible on her vital Christian mission.

25 Likes

Now’s the time to make up some real good “fake” self-published batshit crazy texts for her to pick up at the next little free library. Let her post them to Facebook and let the hilarity ensue.

8 Likes

Several months ago I saw that the little free library in my neighborhood had three Playboy magazines in it. Kids these days have it so easy. Back in my day we had to find our dirty magazines in the woods. Then we had to carefully separate the rain soaked pages with hopes that they wouldn’t rip.

29 Likes

This is happening by me as well. I have noticed books along the lines of “Kid’s bible” showing up in the LFL-like boxes in town.

I don’t have a problem with the kid’s bible-type books, but I wonder what if anything got removed when those went in.

14 Likes

Put a copy of the Necronomicon in there, maybe drip some fake blood and spider webs on it. See if she has the guts to touch it.

12 Likes

That’s excellent! I take out the religious bullshit out of the Little Free Libraries in my area and replace them with books from the ALA’s Banned & Challenged Books lists to ensure that people are reading sound literature that develops their minds. I also routinely throw religious pamphlets away when I see them in public, just to keep the kids safe. Let’s hope I’ve subverted more than a few people to seeing the world as a much bigger place than the dreck churches put out.

32 Likes

I wonder if someone around here is doing this, as I’ve seen way more religious crap in the boxes over the last year. I may start pulling it and donating it to the closest recycling cart in the alley.

14 Likes

Ok, as someone who “runs” a LFL, let me just say:

GOOD LUCK WITH THAT, LADY. LOL.

LFLs are not untended stations. They go up because someone else cared to put it up and they quick enough fall into disuse without at least a very low level of care. If the caretaker(s) care enough to allow a book you don’t like, I can’t tell you how easy it is to replace your Bible with a John Grisham/Danielle Steele/Anne Rule that will move 20 times faster. Bibles arent even a dime a dozen. They are the dead weight. Literally no one is picking up bibles from LFLs. So, you can easily imagine how quickly they get sorted out as ballast destined for the recycle bins.

This is just Christian virtue signaling.

/The Silent Majority is neither Silent nor…

34 Likes

This is actually the only part of this that felt relatable to me.

No, I haven’t cleaned needles out of mine or any, but I have cleaned out all kinds of other garbage from my own and other neighborhood from some jerk or another. I’ve also found needles around the neighborhood, so it seems possible if not probable if you were going to a lot of LFLs on the regular.

However…
If she cared about something other than the moral panic, then she would be talking about safe disposal bins not this.

12 Likes

If she was an honest Christian, rather than a bigoted vandal, she’d put up her own LFL, stock it how she liked, and see how it does.

50 Likes

Satanic Temple Activity Book - PDF Archive You can print these and put them in free libraries as well.

8 Likes

If she had paid attention to what she did read.

9 Likes

“Rain soaked.” Yeah, sure…

8 Likes

it really is surprising how fragile white evangelical christianity is. apparently all people need to do read that there are other less hateful ways of being a human, and presto: they’re converted!

maybe some day curiosity will get the better of her and she’ll actually read one of the books she’s stealing. problem solved

18 Likes