"Jenny," a favorite character from indie band The Mountain Goats, is back in a new album called "Jenny from Thebes"

Originally published at: "Jenny," a favorite character from indie band The Mountain Goats, is back in a new album called "Jenny from Thebes" | Boing Boing

How many other people hearing “Jenny” and “song” immediately thought “8675309”?

2 Likes

For the sake of the narrator of the Tommy Tutone song I hope that the Jenny he wants to call isn’t the same one from the Mountain Goats song

For pretty much anyone Gen X or older, that’s 100%…

1 Like

The Mountain Goats’ song has long since driven Tommy Tutone out of my Gen-X head. All hail West Texas!

1 Like

Not sure why Jenny is now from Thebes, but Darnielle knows his Classics. The album cover shows the shield of Polynices as described in the Greek tragedian Aeschylus’ play “Seven Against Thebes,” about the war fought between the sons of Oedipus, Polynices and Eteocles, to control Thebes. The Greek on the album cover says “I will bring this man back and he will have his city and move freely in his father’s halls." The t-shirt has the image from the album but not the Greek.

2 Likes

why hello, fellow mountain goats fan! :slight_smile:

ALL HAIL WEST TEXAS, indeed!

The utility of that number is that if you’re in a grocery store and don’t have their loyalty card, the local area code followed by 8675309 often works as “your” phone number.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.