Jeremy Corbyn: 'I will not lead the party in any future general election campaign.'

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/12/12/jeremy-corbyn-i-will-not-le.html

2 Likes

I … don’t get it. How can people keep electing people like BoJoJo? I discard the “they are stupid” arguments and derivatives.

What am I missing?

22 Likes

Can anyone explain to me how the fu#k the Labour Party lost this election?

Big wakeup call to the USA tonight, we could see Democracy extinct in our time…

26 Likes

There’s some good discussion and conjecture maybe halfway through this thread:

4 Likes

Conservatives vote for the future they want, irrespective of the candidate: BoJo will execute a hard Brexit and nothing else matters.

Populists fall into personality cults around a certain kind of leader whose offensiveness delights them.

Hence Trump, BoJo, all the others.

27 Likes

Like anyone wants you or thinks you can lead a toy duck on a string, you dithering nostalgia-addled old fart. Congratulations on contributing to the end of the UK, and good riddance.

12 Likes

He has the numbers now to negotiate a softish brexit, he doesn’t need to suck up to the ERG or the DUP any more.

2 Likes

This is likely a good decision…

7 Likes

I dunno… maybe it already is…

17 Likes

A pity he didn’t make this announcement a few weeks ago, when it was pretty clear to everyone but his inner circle that he was the primary obstacle to blocking Boris and blocking Brexit.

9 Likes

He has five years to change his mind. We can believe the Labor Party is serious about new leadership when it’s somebody other than Corbyn telling us about it.

16 Likes

" Jeremy Corbyn says he will not lead the UK’s Labour party in the next general election, "

Mr Corbyn should have said that one election ago.

17 Likes

From here in Australia it looks exactly like the election of Trump. Poor people voting for a rich leader on the dubious premise that he is on their side.

20 Likes

Luciana Berger lost Finchley and Golders Green; she should have been a shoe-in there. Nice of Corbyn to engineer a split vote over the protests of “stop Tory” groups.

How long until he’s gone again?

4 Likes

It’s simpler than that. There were no good candidates so better to finish the job with who we’ve got. That’s my interpretation anyway. I didn’t vote for him.

1 Like

After these results, this was inevitable.

Unfortunately, it’s also inevitable that Labour will reach the wrong conclusions about why they lost, and go back to being tory-lite, all the same nastiness, in an easier to swallow formula.

17 Likes

With gerrymandering, first past the post electoral system, only two parties (one moderate right wing, one far right) and voter disenfranchisement it really seems so. Especially since current president had less votes than losing candidate.

8 Likes

Like the Labour Party, a credible or acceptable alternative.

Corbyn is the reason that many voters felt unable to support the Labour Party and transferred their allegiances to the Tories (or voted tactically).

Several of Corbyn’s policies were more than welcome, but his and Labour’s inability to define a position on Brexit left a huge hole under the waterline.

12 Likes

Apparently Jeremy Corbyn elicits some conflicted feelings and isn’t particularly popular even among Labour voters. It didn’t help that Labour took a somewhat confused stance on Brexit. The “remain” vote got split three or four ways (despite the pleas for tactical voting) and the “Brexit” vote all went to the Tories. End result: BoJo (with only 43% of the vote).

As someone put it, we’re now in a post-truth political world, and whatever party cares about the rules/law, the truth, and has a focus on coming up with good policy is the loser. So yeah, I think having gotten to that point means that is already the case.

And one party that sees all that as their only path to continued political existence (and are willing to toss out everything they claimed to believe in to keep it happening).

11 Likes

The lesson of Corbyn is, in part, the lesson of Clinton - if a vast proportion of the electorate hates your chosen leader, you’re going to have a bad time.

Another part is the lesson of Ghostbusters: if someone asks you if saying “the Rothschilds run everything” is antisemitic, you say YES. (I’m not sure how much difference that would have actually made electorally, but fuck if it wouldn’t make the taste in my mouth less sour.)

9 Likes