Jewelry store buried $1 million in treasure for others to find

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/07/17/jewelry-store-buried-1-millio.html

1 Like

So what happens when someone finds stuff without signing up?

8 Likes

i believe this far more than i believe that the treasure hunt that inspired him was true.

3 Likes

What an excellent SIP/SAH idea!

Connection?

5 Likes

Thank the ocean I do not live in Macomb County.

ETA: The above still holds true, but I see they covered the state with it, not just Macomb county.

This is actually kinda wonderful, and brilliant business model at same time- just gauging interest and going by ticket sales you could easily make your money back and then some quickly.

I really like this.

The person who hacks the black box on his car over the last few months will own a fortune though

4 Likes

I got an even better idea, you could “say” that you buried a million dollars worth of stuff and then sell “clues” to “find” the “treasures” you “buried”.

If they can’t find anything based on what you’ve told them then that’s not really your problem is it?

8 Likes

To get to the bottom of it, a typical rope that long would weigh about 3.2 tons and wouldn’t be able to support itself. The rope’s own weight would make it stretch and break about halfway down.

1 Like

Macomb County is one county over from Oakland County, where Jimmy Hoffa disappeared. There could be some interesting synergy there.

4 Likes

You are really nefarious and still right.

I can totally see someone pulling that scam now.

1 Like

So what you’re saying is if we lured il douche near it, and there was a banana peel that just conveniently was there and he happened to slip in, noone could pull him back out…

Can we widen the hole to fit an enormous ego?

2 Likes

I’ve got an idea. You make a machine. We’ll call it a “treasure detector”. Market it with a few pictures of finds that you made (or not) and set punters on their merry way. You could also sell the analog version. We’ll call it a “shovel”. Treasure is every where. You could be standing on it.

2 Likes

The real treasure hunt is the race between the hackers that are trying to nab his cell phone’s location history.

I’m trying to figure out how:
“Pay me money, and I promise to give you clues that lead you to more money.”

is different from:
“Pay me bitcoin, and I promise to send you more bitcoin.”

Is the lack of a (potentially unsolvable) riddle the only thing that makes bitcoin scamming illegal?

1 Like

I wonder how much it would cost to pay Google to provide the store owner’s location history for the past few months. Probably get a decent return on investment.

1 Like

No, the real treasure is the memories they’re creating.

2 Likes

I hope this works out better than this previous hare-raising adventure.

2 Likes

Interesting point. In fact any app that tracks location will have that data.