Jim Carrey stars in... The Shining

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/04/19/jim-carrey-stars-in-the-shi.html

Sometimes it looks like The Polar Express…

8 Likes

Well, they are just the same guy, right? Right?

5 Likes

It was defaulting for me to 720 and it looked fine, even appropriate for the original footage. I upped it to 2160 and holy crap is that uncanny.

3 Likes

Jim Carrey is a cop out: you can imagine him stretching his face out to match whoever. What I want is Arnold Schwarzenegger’s face on everything. Bill Hader can provide the voice.

4 Likes

Really needs the voice changed, too. As is, I don’t see Carrey unless it’s paused - the voice makes me still see Nicholson.

8 Likes

This one was not as good for me. The teeth were weird. Also the stubble on the neck but not on the face was very distracting. And Jim Carry’s face moves much more then that so it did not seem right. But creepy.

5 Likes

Huh. Why does this look so much worse than the ones made months ago? Looks like a CGI character well in the uncanny valley.

2 Likes

tumblr_odsz8utFvf1sybyd5o1_500

8 Likes

didn’t they do that already

this is what happens when they deepfake two people together who already look alike

jim   jack

7 Likes

So Jim Carrey and Jack Nicholson do bear a bit of a resemblance, but I think what makes it look like not much has changed (other than the uncanny Polar Express filter) is that so much of these two actors’ distinctiveness comes from how they move their faces – and they don’t move their faces in the same way as each other. So putting Jim Carrey’s face on Jack Nicholson just looks like a slightly blurry Jack Nicholson. This might explain why @TheRizz really only got the effect when it’s paused: When it’s moving, the Nicholson-ness of the movement takes the fore and the individuality of the faces is lost. When it’s paused you can clearly recognize the Carrey-ness of the face.

6 Likes

Yeah, they look like they replaced Jack Nicholson’s face with a drawing of Jim Carrey.

It doesn’t quite look like either one of them, apparently. I think part of it that some of their distinguishing features (e.g. hairline, head shape) are different enough that it doesn’t really work.

They must have added something to the model, trained it on some new images in between episodes. Episode one doesn’t look all that much like Carrey to me, but the second looks pretty good. The third seems to have over-egged the pudding. I wonder if they used some posters/promotional images that were 'shopped to the point of being basically illustrations, and that’s why it looks like a drawing now.

2 Likes

There’s a YouTube channel too:

Some are subtle, and some are, um, pretty weird.
2 Likes

me, doing that, every day, and it’s never fucking good enough.

3 Likes

The current generation of Deep Fake is pretty impressive; but I’m waiting for when they can convincingly do John Goodman as the Terminator.

john goodman

4 Likes

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.