Jim Henson Company is selling Labyrinth-themed NFTs

Originally published at: Jim Henson Company is selling Labyrinth-themed NFTs | Boing Boing

2 Likes

Ugh, more of this tacky shit.

9 Likes

Every time there is an article on this crap I try and figure it out. I officially give up and I’m sure I’m passing up another chance to become a millionaire.

4 Likes

NFTs: Because we aren’t destroying the environment fast enough!

:cry:

8 Likes

But do they have a certificate of authenticity?

3 Likes

they chose poorly

that’s all i have to say

5 Likes

:notes:"Are you a mark or a muppet?":musical_note:

6 Likes

ok here’s my snarky shot at it (and worth every token you paid for it):

Things which aren’t edible are considered of value only if folks think that it has some lasting value.

The essential bit, typically not mentioned enough, is that it all hinges on how much those folks actually possess some authority. If they represent a nominally powerful government then we can call those things “currency” or “money”. If they are just rich people we call them objects of art or gucci bags. If they are just people on the internet, we mislabel them non-fungible-tokens (albeit still being fungible) or (add a soupcon of math) “cryptocurrency”.

8 Likes

Junk Lady

4 Likes

See, now that helped…

Not.

Thanks for trying though.

All my Bradford Exchange Star Trek plates have certificates of authenticity. Seems the certificate for these things are out in internet land. I can barely remember what my gmail password is so digital collectibles might not be for me.

1 Like

ezgif-7-324ba0b8be86

5 Likes

Don’t go that way!

2 Likes

Well, yuk.

This seems a rather odd view of art.

That I can listen to, say, Schubert directing a choir to sing about death being utterly defeated provides me with an awful lot of value. Providing me with even more value is that I can share it with my friends and watch my friends enjoy it.

That there’s a lot of it and its value is available to lots of people may mean I can’t sell my copy and make lots of money, but who cares? It infuses the world with utility, and you may as well say air and moonlight have no value.

An NFT’s relation to art is the same as that of someone who burns the painting and frames the receipt.

could-should

The reason why furries tend to be so critical of NFT’s is we built a whole community around art, identity and how to deal with it digitally over the past 30 years. This shit is like trying so hard to be the money laundering bullshit that is fine art but without the fine… hell or the art for that matter.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.