John Fogerty’s new song captures our sorrow

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2021/01/10/john-fogertys-new-song-captures-our-sorrow.html

11 Likes

Ouch… That hit me pretty hard.

8 Likes

Nice shout out to Fred Hampton. :+1: :fist:

By way of Breonna Taylor.

19 Likes

I haven’t thought of a better metaphor for the last 30 years of conservatism, Fox News and GRU operations in the democratic world than “Poisoning the well”.

7 Likes

Gut-wrenching in its Truth. Thank you for sharing it.

#NeverVoteRepublican

5 Likes

Boy, it really makes you nostalgic for more cheerful political songs like Fortunate Son.

On a positive note, for some reason I thought John Fogerty had died in the seventies, so this actually registered as a pleasant surprise

8 Likes

You don’t remember Centerfield from the 80s? It was on all the time.

4 Likes

Yeah, it’s the difference between being 24, writing about an fundamentally unjust war where you have friends dying and 75, writing about a fundamentally unjust society in which you have seen little forward progress in your lifetime.

We have so much work left to do, but it’s tiring to feel like we fight the same battles over and over.

13 Likes

Not a bad piece of songwriting, I’d like to hear a gospel choir do it.

Picked up this LP over the weekend, hence my ‘gospel choir’ idea.

3 Likes

Choked up quite a bit at “I can’t breathe”.

im-not-crying-youre-crying

9 Likes

Yep, but the problem is that republicans will take this to mean “all of the fake news”…

2 Likes

Without the chance to publicly grieve once in a while, it’s hard not to lose one’s mind. Grieving can be patriotic.

If the country had been better with saying, “ouch!” after 9/11, it wouldn’t have been ‘necessary’ to go to war in Iraq and Afghanistan.

3 Likes

Nothing changes if nothing ever changes.

16 Likes

Insult to injury: Trump and his lackeys, once again appropriating Fogarty’s IP on Wednesday–Pretty sure I heard them playing ‘Fortunate Son’ at the brownshirts’ rally. Relatively certain no one who was there is familiar with the concept of ‘irony’… :frowning:

5 Likes

5 posts were split to a new topic: Boomer rock

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.