John Hodgman's Vacationland: a masterpiece of humor that means something

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2017/10/24/cruel-shoes-all-grown-up.html

If you – like me – are a loyal listener to the Judge John Hodgman podcast, then you have a sense of what makes Hodgman a treasure: it’s his combination of understated, low-key wit; his quick self-deprecation; and his deep compassion, which is what makes his comedic “fake internet courtoom” into more than a quick gag, turning it into reliable source of thought-provoking insight into how to be a better person. If that’s your thing, then you will love his latest book, a memoir called Vacationland: True Stories from Painful Beaches, which isn’t just funny… it’s also sneaky as hell.

2 Likes

It sounds truly great. Thanks for the review. Library hold placed!

1 Like

Awesome. Thanks for the heads up Doc, I’m picking it up now. I don’t think I’ve ever regretted buying anything from John, and I always get almost uncomfortably excited whenever something new of his comes out.

1 Like

Went thought my entire life avoiding that word, and now this is the third time it’s cropped up this week.

Life is weird.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.