John Lennon's killer staying in jail

[Permalink]

1 Like

Molding in a stinky cell is where he belongs. Just hard to feel sorry for this guy…

2 Likes

John Lennon was one of those tragic examples of someone who climbs out of a fractured family, finds fame, drinks way too much, cleans up their life, and then just when they have balance in their lives, wham.

2 Likes

Please please please remove his name from this post. To true Lennon fans, he is the Man Who Must Never Be Named. Never forget that he did this crime to make himself famous, so media outlets who name him just perpetuate this. Notably, the 1988 biopic Imagine neither names him nor shows his face or talks about him at all, which is the way it should be.

Ps. Also there’s another BB blog post with his name in the blog title :frowning:

4 Likes

I’m mildly surprised that Damnatio Memoriæ is still amongst the living. I would have thought that in a maximum security penitentiary in the US, that his fellow inmates would have attended to that detail, under the Nelsonian eye of the guards.

2 Likes

Legal question: does Life mean life in the US legal system?

He was sentenced to 20 years-to-life, 33 years ago. What did the 20 year bit mean, is that just when he could start applying for parole?

1 Like

It was a little jarring to see his ugly mug after slowly scrolling past the enormous technicolor bug eyes.

This is one of those cases where people who believe deeply in forgiveness suddenly don’t believe in it at all.

2 Likes

What did the 20 year bit mean, is that just when he could start applying for parole?

Hmm.

told a parole board as he made his case – for an eighth time – to be freed.
The commissioners denied parole as they’ve done seven times before – in 2000, 2002, 2004, 2006, 2008, 2010 and 2012.

Your analysis is correct.

does Life mean life in the US legal system?

the penal system sure is full of catchy slogans, isn’t it? “Life means life”. “One Hat trick and you’re in”. Shouldn’t it be based on careful thought?

1 Like

Well good! Someone has to keep Chapman from continuing to kill John Lennon.

Seriously, though, what’s the benefit to society of keeping him in jail? Your personal affinity (or not) for Lennon should have zero sway on whether or not Chapman deserves to remain behind bars.

He’s been locked up for long enough to serve as an effective deterrent to copycats, his statements make him seem contrite about his actions, and I don’t get the impression that he’s an ongoing danger to others.

I don’t like the idea of indefinite, punitive incarceration.

1 Like

Perhaps I’m wrong to feel this way but I’d only let him out when John comes back and says he forgives him. To deliberately take a life as he did makes his own life forfeit.

2 Likes
  1. I’m glad he was denied, and I don’t think he particularly deserved parole.
  2. People who get all outraged over the fact that parole hearings were even held, and spew forth rage-infused rants about the very concept of parole and how soft the system is, etc., are fucking morons. In case you didn’t notice parole was denied, settle down.

The Catcher in the Rye.

Does any one know that book was found with him and Reagan’s failed assassin?

Two “separate” people who just so happened to follow through with an assassination plot.

There are no coincidences.

Whatever. The Stones sucked anyway.

I logged in to say the same thing. I thought we had all agreed about this years ago.

Aren’t there some people that are kept in prison for the whole of their natural lives, because if they were paroled someone would most certainly murder them? If Chapman killed Lennon to become “famous”, wouldn’t the killer of Chapman in turn become famous? I’ve thought this would be true of say, Manson. He wouldn’t survive on the outside.

The parole board did say

the panel has determined that if released at this time, there is a reasonable probability that you would not live and remain at liberty without again violating the law…

but perhaps this is mere boilerplate.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.