John Oliver looks at psychedelic assisted therapy

Originally published at: John Oliver looks at psychedelic assisted therapy | Boing Boing

5 Likes

Poor JO was terrified that psychedelics might become more popular as recreational drugs and thus this would argue against their use medically.
Folks: legalize everything. Crime would drop dramatically. Some people would die who might otherwise not die, but a lot won’t be going to prison and dying for a Drug War.
Let’s stop letting the State tell us what we can and cannot put in our own bodies.

1 Like

I did not get that from the piece at all. I’m not sure how you did. He leaves aside recreational use, for the most part to discuss its use in therapy.

Election 2020 Trump GIF

Used to be that a company could put nearly anything into a bottle and call it medicine - it killed people. There is a huge difference between some government regulation on medicines, foods - things we might ingest, vs. banning recreational drugs.

4 Likes

Psilocybin works as described by (most) proponents, whether a daily/scheduled microdose or a tripping spheres sesh.

My therapist & I have yet to find a downside, my anecdotal take after mmm 3-4 months.

It does not go without saying, be careful with your brain, particularly with the latter method (tripping spheres)

1 Like

This one is spot on.

Well if he was terrified of psychedelics at one point, he doesn’t seem to have that view now.

At least in this case he focuses less on recreational use, and more for using it as guided therapy.

I agree with complete de-criminalization of drugs, and for a lot of them I think they should be 100% legal - but regulated to ensure you’re getting what is on the label. This is less of an issue for things like weed, and more important for things like narcotics.

And this would need to go hand in hand with drug treatment programs.

I don’t know enough about psychedelics to know what level of regulation is needed. Stuff like mushrooms occur in nature and so are harder to label vs synthesized drugs like LSD. IIRC.

1 Like

He doesn’t address it at all, because it’s not the point he’s attempting to make. The only connection is when he noted how the panic over recreational use led to the end of research for their use in therapy - he does not either advocate for or against legalization for recreational use. It’s not part of the point he’s trying to make.

1 Like

Did you actually watch the piece or did you take a guess based on the summary provided?

1 Like

… not sure what this means in practice though

What’s the difference between “careful” trippin’ balls versus “not careful” trippin’ balls :face_with_spiral_eyes:

With your brain and everything attached to it too.

For someone new to psychedelics being careful with that can often mean thinking about environment, who you are with and as many other details as necessary for whatever feelings of comfort or security an individual believes warranted.

For the more experienced? They know, or they don’t. I for one always refused to drive while having a psychedelic experience, when I was younger.

Nowadays, I still know not to drive when I am uncertain of i/o, I think it’s a solid rule. And there’s all sorts of other things that require senses aligned with the physical world to do well and safely.

But a lot of my friends considered me a real downer on some questions like that, to each their own, I’m good at dodging cars so I’ll be alright /s

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.