John Oliver on the big problem with museums

My POINT, though, since people seem determined to dismiss it, is that the UN was created by the west and runs primarily on western values, and we should be mindful of that point. It’s more diverse in representation, but that’s still a factor to consider.

Others disagree on that point.

And just to be clear, I’m not anti-UN or anti-UNESCO. I think, on the whole, world bodies are an important part of regulating globalization. But we should acknowledge the sometimes problematic history. I would really love for UNESCO to be more proactive in getting many, if not all, of the artifacts held in western museums returned to their rightful country of origin, because the reality is that they are a byproduct of violent colonialism that sought to utterly obliterate entire cultures in the name of progress. Holding onto the just leaves the knife in the back. The UN should be a body that seeks to dismantle white and European supremacy that is still far too tangled up in those organizations, because we’re not going to be able to finally be post-colonial until we do that.

2 Likes

This must be why there are no Guy Falkes masks in the British Museum…

This reminds me of a recent local story on a museam that had to return an item to the artist.

A very strange story that certainly didn’t help the image of our BC museam. In short: White guy carves stone on beach. Other white guy claims it’s ancient and starts preparing a permanent exhibit with the story of its very important ceremonial role. Actual carver tries to tell them he made it 5 years ago. Actual First Nations people not involved in the conversation. Embarrassment ensues, but the former curator is still standing by his “findings”.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.