John Oliver to FCC Chairman: prove you aren't a dingo!

[Permalink]

It took 48 hours from when this aired to when clip that’s been posted across the entire internet makes it to BB. That’s what I call careful curation!

Yes, because they have no lives, no families; nothing at all to do, but jump on the keyboard and spit out a post, the very instant something becomes popular!
I’d like to understand your apparent frustration. Would you care to explain what you were expecting?
I’m not being sarcastic (well, anymore)- I’d really like to know about your opinion, and how you picture the lives and work cycles of the editors:)

2 Likes
2 Likes

A truly fascinating opinion. Now prove you’re not -just- a dingo.

I hadn’t seen it before because I’ve been busy and haven’t been online 24/7, AND I never seem to have time to watch TV so I don’t keep up with this show when it’s live. So I appreciate that BB – one site I check daily – has posted it.

But thank you for your enlightening opinion.

2 Likes

That’s like saying that because the editors of a newspapers have lives and families they should take their sweet time with a story. This isn’t even a story: It’s a post of a YouTube clip of someone else’s show that’s been posted by hundreds of blogs by the time BB got around to slapping a post together. Meanwhile, the editors manage to find time to post enough moronic Kickstarters each day to choke an elephant, because who wouldn’t want to crowdfund an indie video game of a steampunk graphic novel about Linux, privacy, and Star Wars starring the Flying Spaghetti Monster and Cthulhu.

Yes, I know I can stop reading if I hate the site. But I don’t! I love the longform writing that occasionally gets published here, as well as the stories that can’t be found anywhere else. If the editors are going to lazily repost YouTube clips, though, they could at least have enough respect for themselves and their readers to do so before the rest of the internet does the exact same thing.

Not everyone visits those blogs, though.

That reminds me of the people who phone into radio stations and complain about how often the news and weather get repeated in the morning. Maybe not everyone is living on your schedule or visiting the websites you visit.

1 Like

You make several fine points.

However, a newspaper, this is not.
Nor is the mode of operation, nor the subjects within.

I did not suggest you stop reading anything you find less than perfect. One is free to ignore inadequacies.

I do have some minor quibbles:
Why would the timing of posts, relative to the contents, have anything to do with laziness or self respect?
As the poster below you says, “Maybe not everyone is living on your schedule or visiting the websites you visit.”

Also, it seems to me that judgements upon laziness and criticism of an organization’s schedule would presuppose familiarity with their manner of working, their plans and priorities?
Would it not, then, be more courteous to ask a question, in stead of exacting judgement?

EDIT:
For all I know, you have intimate knowledge of the subject. That’s why I formulate my thoughts as opinions and questions. Seems less accusative, and, I hope, communicates that I’m not an adversary, but one who is trying to understand.

It would be like phoning into a radio station and complaining about how yesterday’s news and weather is being played today. If BB wants to repost everything from across the web, that’s fine (although not stellar). But taking 48 hours to copy and paste a YouTube clip is lazy.

I don’t think you guys understand. Boingboing only exists to cater to my tastes and the date at which I would like to devour this content.

Clearly, this is a non-argument.

1 Like

I dunno, this clip seemed a little mean-spirited to me. I think it could have been funnier without the nasty tone to it towards the end. The original FCC bit that he did on this was a real classic though.

To the complaining guy: you should contact @frauenfelder to get your name on this list:

Maybe they should be transported to a bbs where they can populate amongst themselves.

Or is that just the setup for a BoingBoing Dystopian revolution?

I can never hear or read a mention of dingoes without thinking of this:

The Sing-Song of Old Man Kangaroo

It is a pleasing irony that the story ends with the two main characters each blaming the other.

And yet, even among all the people who, oddly enough, seem to enjoy hearing about how they might

crowdfund an indie video game of a steampunk graphic novel about Linux, privacy, and Star Wars starring the Flying Spaghetti Monster and Cthulhu

here you are.

And if it seems so lazy to you (which is, frankly, given that the producers of this site seem to be doing quite well for themselves as content producers across multiple media, mildly unbelievable), then how’s your site going?

That well, huh?

As to the story at hand, I’m more than a little amazed that Chairman Wheeler had never heard of dingos. They don’t qualify as an esoteric deep-sea fish, and given that Wheeler was

a venture capitalist and lobbyist for the cable and wireless industry, with positions including President of the National Cable Television Association (NCTA) and CEO of the Cellular Telecommunications & Internet Association (CTIA)
how in the everloving fuck didn’t he know of the dingo?
Also, way to respond to criticism, Chairman Wheeler.

The only conclusion I can neatly draw from someone his age not knowing what a dingo is, is not watching Seinfeld. Or interacting with anyone who enjoys humor.

2 Likes

By “[my] site” I’m sure you mean the other sites I read that don’t operate on a 24-48 hour time delay, and for the most part they’re pretty great!

I’ve never been on a public list like that before, so it sounds fun!

Are you on a list, as well? Does being on your list compel you to introduce yourself to the neighbors accompanied by a friendly law enforcement officer?

TL;DR: Lists are exciting!

I’ve read BoingBoing for many years, and over time I’ve noticed the BoingBoing “tape delay” (the period of time between when stories are reported by a wide variety of sites and when the same story is reposted by BB) getting longer and longer, while at the same time a flood of crowdfunding requests for inane and useless items. If BB was offering a unique take on the story, that’s one thing. Analysis takes time. But most often, it appears that the editors see the same picture, video, or piece of news pop up a few times on their RSS feeds, go to lunch, go to dinner, have breakfast, and then repost the content.

For example: BoingBoing’s mention of Amazon announcing that Prime would include music streaming happened three full days after the announcement was made. It clearly wasn’t important enough to the editors to post when it happened, so why post at all?

Man, you are really pissed off! Why don’t you write to the editors about this instead of complaining on the forum?

Alternatively, you could try this:

Read the things on this site you enjoy.

Ignore everything else.

HTH

2 Likes