Johns Hopkins researchers recommend reclassifying magic mushrooms from schedule I to IV drug

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/10/01/johns-hopkins-researchers-reco.html

10 Likes

… but since US drug policy has consistently ignored - and frequently run contrary to - the evidence, I’m pretty sure this will change nothing.

25 Likes

12 Likes

About damn time.

5 Likes

Q: Yea, right. Those scientists just want to get high.

A: They’re scientists. They’re going to get high.

6 Likes

These beauties used to grow in the cow pastures behind where I went to High School.

Good times.

7 Likes

:joy:

5 Likes

Fun story: One of my classmates in undergrad doing chemistry was part of a research group studying the effects of THC. I asked how much of a pain it was to work with anything marijuana related*, he said it was really not that big a deal, and that’s when I found out:

Cannabis is Schedule I: No potential for medicinal use.
THC is actually Schedule II: Possible Medical Use, high potential for abuse.

THC has been Schedule II since the 90s, apparently, in part due to recommendations from the WHO. And cannabis is well on (extremely slow) track to legalization.

So, despite the bizarre incongruities of current cannabis legislation, of moral of the story is: Don’t be so pessimistic.

*Other researchers have told me that having even small quantities of marijuana plant sanctioned by the DEA required meeting exceedingly cumbersome regulations about things like the kinds of safes they needed and–not kidding, availability of antidotes.

7 Likes

Meanwhile Peyote has a problem other than its drug scheduling status, it is becoming endangered.
https://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=14064806

4 Likes

This is really going to tank my street cred, though.

3 Likes

I’m going to kick my HS guidance councilor’s ass!

8 Likes

A great place to find magic mushrooms other than cow pastures: golf courses in the rough right off the fairways.

5 Likes

I’ve heard about this nonsense before. I can only assume that given the utter failure to ever make any inch of headway on the ‘war’ on drugs, remotely, the D must stand for Dunce.

2 Likes

That’s going nowhere fast.

1 Like

Based on the evidence, opinions about drugs had better not be based on the evidence if you want to keep your job. The war on inanimate objects takes no prisoners.

6 Likes

Are cool ranch doritos considered the antidote to cannibis? Or perhaps an enhancer :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

And despite that, from what I read, the UK is actually better than the US when it comes to evidence-based drugs policy. It’s not particularly evidence-based, but yet it’s still better.

1 Like

unless monsanto wants to play

3 Likes

This was the biggest surprise for me after taking mushrooms the first few times. Coming down off mushrooms feels like they give you a back-rub, a great pep-talk and some spendng cash before sending you back to reality. As opposed to every other drug that feels like they make fun of you, slow down the car and push you out, leaving you feeling rejected and wanting more, despite yourself…

13 Likes

Yesssssssssssss! So many wonderful memories. So lovely and mellow and uplifting. Now acid (shudders) that was like taking all the nobs in my brain and torquing them to 11. Then taping em down for a few hours. No thanks. Maybe the stuff I had was funky, but I’ve tried it a few times and… not for me.

1 Like