Josh Glenn's top 75 Golden Age sci-fi novels

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2016/12/27/josh-glenns-top-75-golden-ag.html

Really have to question why someone compiling a list of obscure books and stories with the intention of generating interest in the genre would include spoilers in the individual descriptions.

But, but… I’m just finishing The Doomed City as was suggested right here on the BB… it’s quite a book.

So nothing by H. Beam Piper, anywhere in the entire list?

The cosmic puppets! One of PKD’s forgotten gems that.

Heinlen homophobic and misogynistic? Can someone insert a “home alone” shocked face here?

I’ve come to the conclusion that my tastes were formed more and run to the Silver Age writers, because although the ones on the list are good choices, I find myself second-guessing a lot of them. Why Red Planet and not The Moon is a Harsh Mistress?

Well, for this list, because The Moon is a Harsh Mistress was written in 1966. Space Viking was 1963, though.

Most of the books on that list aren’t obscure. In fact, most of this is pretty standard-issue sf reading list stuff, with a few related out-of-genre works thrown in for interest.

Ok. So maybe they’re not obscure, but presumably, the list was created in part to entice people who hadn’t read the books to read them, and including spoilers is counter-productive.

I was surprised at how many of these I’d read as a kid, but then, the books in my hometown library weren’t exactly up to date, so that made sense. Plus, I read all the Asimov, Bradbury, Clark, Lovecraft, Blish, Simak, the Lensman series, etc I could get my hands, on so that upped the score.

Several of these, most notably The Space Merchants, were turned into excellent radio dramas on X Minus One and Dimension X.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.