Judge Cannon dismisses Federal documents case against Trump

Those people already are?

Will their votes count enough to outweigh the people who want a fascist dictator to destroy democracy in this country?

ETA - I’m sorry, I’m already depressed from being unemployed again and I’m probably not able to contribute constructively to any of these conversations. “I’m very worried and fighting hopelessness” is all I got and that doesn’t help, I know!

21 Likes

A victorious Trump has nothing he can legally offer the corrupt Supremes except a pardon.

My crystal ball prediction is that they reason that because Trump could have unilaterally declassified all these documents while President, he’s essentially being punished for a decision he made (or didn’t make) as President, and therefore has absolute immunity. I’ll accept my award unhappily if I’m right.

3 Likes

It feels like we’re rapidly approaching the fourth box of liberty, and that’s scary to think about. Imagine if the sides in the Civil War (the deadliest war in US history based on military casualties) had had the types of weaponry we do now.

Here’s hoping the first two boxes hold.

4 Likes

Or the court might agree with his earlier explanation that he just declassified all these documents in his head without telling anyone. Wouldn’t even be the craziest ruling that they’ve made.

4 Likes

Sure. Maybe. But that hair splitting becomes unnecessary if the President can pardon himself.

3 Likes

Also if you are prosecuted by Trump for retribution, hope you have a judge not appointed by him.

3 Likes

Disagree. They’ve just made it legal for him to bribe them. But they have to rule in his favor first, then he can give them “ordinary gratuities”.

For private citizens, the order is important: favor first then bribe, not bribe then favor, otherwise you go to jail. Of course Trump’s immunity means that he’d be exempt from that anyway. But he could certainly give Clarence Thomas a new motor coach paid for out of the public purse if he wanted.

7 Likes

He already has an RV.

What about a plane?

5 Likes

Fire This Is Fine GIF

5 Likes

It’s ok. I’m of the opinion one should distrust anyone who claims they are not worried and fighting hopelessness right now.

We have what we have to work with and sometimes that is a shitty situation.

In this case though we are having to trust other people to be able to think critically with no hard evidence that they can or will.

15 Likes

I’m a bit surprised by the timing. Cannon’s whole strategy has been to delay, delay and then delay some more. There was no pressing reason to just dismiss the case on a flimsy argument, which risks getting the case sent to a different judge when inevitably appealed and relitigated. Unless her new strategy was to get rid of the case as fast as she could in a way that leaves her smelling like roses with the MAGA crowd but won’t cause any more consequences for her.

6 Likes

The Justice Department can just use a staff member as prosecutor and re-file the case.

3 Likes

When I was a kid conservatives would get angry when a criminal had their case thrown out because of a technicality. “WTF? He’s guilty, that’s all that matters!”

But I guess you can still call yourselves the “party of law and order” when you make the laws and you give the orders.

11 Likes

According to every legal opinion I’ve read she’s delayed this enough already that there is absolutley no way that the case gets to trial before the election even if the decision was successfully appealed and put before a new judge in record time. And if Trump wins in November he can easily make a new case go away. So she’s achieved her goals. Infuriating.

8 Likes

there’s enough other news right now to help hide widespread coverage. i was wondering, if ■■■■■ hadn’t been shot, would she have dismissed it?

7 Likes

WTAF–

ETA:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national-security/2024/07/15/trump-classified-trial-dismisssed-cannon/

see also

15 Likes

Hopefully one of the things that happens next is disbarment.

26 Likes

Funny how it only became an inappropriate appointment a year later.

16 Likes

Impeachment is the only way to remove a federal judge. Which will have to wait until the Democrats take both houses.

Now, sanctions by the higher courts and reassignment to someone competent, that’s a possibility for the near future

Edit to add: Cannon has already received serval rare corrections from above on this case.

21 Likes