Judge Cannon dismisses Federal documents case against Trump

Or even just a decent human being.

13 Likes

It’s like they never heard of the idea of recusal.

1 Like

And…

10 Likes

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/07/15/us/politics/judge-aileen-cannon-trump-documents-case.html?unlocked_article_code=1.700.D44o.pv-4Ubwi_ikm&smid=url-share

Judge Cannon has her defenders. She approached the question of the constitutionality of the special counsel appointment with the thorough preparation of a circuit judge, said Josh Blackman, a law professor at South Texas College of Law Houston who argued against the legality of the special counsel before her at the hearing last month.

“I’ve rarely seen a district court judge this well prepared,” Mr. Blackman said. “She knew the cases, she knew the statutes and I suspect she had already written most of that opinion already.”

:roll_eyes:

Oh, yes, all that time spent not resolving the most trivial of issues was spent elsewhere.

10 Likes

Fucking bullshit it’s already established law she went way out of bounds

10 Likes

DC is a different circuit and Chutkan is under no obligations to follow a dismissal from Cannon. If T****’s attorney’s move to dismiss for that reason, she can just rule on it from the bench, especially for something like this where there is already SCOTUS precedent in favor of special prosecutors.

Seth’s interpretation here is weird.

8 Likes

“The very definition of an activist judge, she has single-handedly upended three decades of established law historically used fairly and in a bipartisan manner,” said Joëlle Anne Moreno, a law professor at Florida International University.

is the better take from the article .

8 Likes

Or it was written for her by a team from the Federalist Society.

16 Likes

“It’s significant that this 90-plus-page decision is more erudite with more traditional citations than some of Judge Cannon’s other opinions,” said Mr. Butler, the former federal prosecutor.

Of course, NYT fails to go on to explore why it might be “significant,” or possibly even “suspicious.”

8 Likes

When a former prosecutor carefully implies, without saying, that the decision’s format was weird and sus, they should pay attention.

5 Likes

Nah. Better journalistic practice is to give equal time and weight to a “defender” of the judge who just so happens to be the lawyer whose motion she granted. /s

I mean, would anybody expect that “defender” to say “The prosecution had some good points. That could have gone either way.”? The NYT takes us for fools, and I am stupider for having read its claptrap.

5 Likes

It gives us more lines to read between.

5 Likes
8 Likes

I’d be interested in reading the full appeal-- that’s merely a notice.

Dated Monday, but it just hit the Southern District system today.

1 Like

The notice is just a statement that must be filed within 30 days of the order appealed from. The Eleventh Circuit will set a briefing schedule. I don’t know if Smith can or will request expedited briefing, but a 93 page order may prevent expedited treatment anyways. I would expect at least 60 days before the gov’t brief will be due.

3 Likes
3 Likes

The deadliest war if you only count US casualties, that is. You might want to read up on the Vietnam war, for example.

I mean, why there even is a list of only US casualties is absolutely beyond me. Who’s interested in that? What the value? I found no such list for other nations.

3 Likes

Some fallout from this decision :popcorn:

4 Likes

I kinda wish sometimes that his dad would follow suit.

Oh, so us preznits have immunity now? Okay then, watch this!

And then he’d do a lot of, you know, cool stuff. :sunglasses:

5 Likes