Judge handcuffs public defender for speaking out in court

Most states have an ethics commission for members of the judiciary. Kinda like the state bar for judges. That’s the first step if you think a judge has violated the law or ethics rules (and yest, judges have ethics rules they must follow). FYI, the state bar is the first step to filing a malpractice complaint against an attorney.

3 Likes

Thank You! Your prompting lead me to learn about our State Commission on Judicial Conduct. I had no idea it existed.

2 Likes

You’re welcome. The ethics commissions for judges are kinda quiet entities. You don’t hear much about them on the news. Which is a pity, since anyone coming before a judge should know about them, in case they need it. Sometimes I think there should be big posters or signs at courthouses saying “complaints on judges breaking the law or ethics rules- go here!” I only know about their existence because I’m an attorney.

3 Likes

In Nevada, this stunt is likely to guarantee he’ll sail through the reelection process. It won’t hold him back, at least.

1 Like

To be fair, that was over 45 years ago!

It’s true that it’s been a long road to legitimate law and order in Chicago. We’ve got a new Superintendent of Police, which hopefully starts a good trajectory on the road to recovery. But yeah…I can’t get too uppity about the excesses elsewhere in the country, can I?

I was born in Cook County Hospital decades ago and spent my earliest years in Evanston. I love Chicago for its good things, which are many (one of my faves… Matsuya on North Clark: http://www.mymatsuya.com/ but it’s been over 10 years since I last went). I still truly wince every single time I read about yet another Illinois pol getting indicted for some dang thing. I wince. I wince.

Yeah. I wince anyway.

Yay that. Overdue.
(Sorry, OT:) The whole Homan Square is beyond awful. Glad that changes at the top might result in a better organization with better practices. I am now steeling myself for the how-and-when a judge (and which judge) will preside over the case(s) relating to the illegal detention of 7000+ alleged perpetrators*, some without charges.**

Judges have a lot of power in US courtrooms. Appointed judges have built-in lack of accountability, esp. since the appointment system is specifically designed to protect judges who may make unpopular decisions (“hard choices” made in the public interest). Getting rid of bad ones is fraught with obstacles, time-consuming and arcane and not without a massive learning curve. Of the many “innocence projects” addressing wrongly imprisoned death row inmates…

… I have yet to see a “guilty project” wherein biased, corrupt judges are methodically addressed and ousted in an organized way.

On the face of it, it seems in this case public interest and “general welfare and domestic tranquility” (preamble, US Constitution) are not served when one’s public defender—a thankless job at best—is handcuffed in the courtroom.

*"… detentions at off-the-books interrogation warehouse, while attorneys describe find-your-client chase across Chicago as ‘something from a Bond movie’ "
** “Chicago police have not disclosed any figures at all on people who were detained at Homan Square but never ultimately charged”

6 Likes

Dang, add a little of Donald Trump’s orange tan cream to the judge and he’d look like General Akbar from Return of the Jedi.

Too bad no one in the court room had the temerity to warn the lawyer by shouting “It’s a trap!”

petit larceny

Was the accused of small stature, or was larceny of small value?

FTFY 

1 Like

They also have XRAY to designate females in their radio codes, but no equivalent for male – they have acronyms like WMA (WHITE-MALE-ADULT) along with female equivalent, but no specifically male designation like X-RAY. Then again, I don’t know what I expected – they still use “oriental”; OFA ORIENTAL-FEMALE-ADULT.

1 Like

Freedom, liberty and justice for a select few™

Juuuuust checking.

1 Like

“OFA” could be a good screen name for me. Except… “SOFA” is more accurate. “Sorta Oriental Female Adult.”

Well, not all that adult probably come to think of it.

Using the word “Oriental” is pretty old-timey to put it mildly.

I will never think of the word xray in the same way again. Sheesh.

4 Likes

The Las Vegas Review Journal article this was based off of sounds like it was either during reading the ruling on sentencing or during a single other ruling where she was able to go back after the judge had read out his ruling.

[quote]“There’s been a progression of steps in the courtroom where I’ve tried
to let her know it’s not proper decorum for her to continue to talk over
me or interrupt me after she’s already made her argument,” he said.
“Once an argument is made, then you have to allow the judge to respond,
so there’s a clear record, and you shouldn’t be interrupting the judge
as the judge is making a ruling. … I’ve been trying to work with her.
And today it just spilled over to where I thought, ‘Well, clearly she’s
not understanding what I’m trying to tell her.’ ”[/quote]

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.