Judge reassigned after complaint he called black juror "Aunt Jemima"

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/02/06/judge-reassigned-after-calling.html

3 Likes

Judge Tranquilli’s racism is both solidly traditional and compellingly contemporary. /s

10 Likes

I suspect that the alt-right is about to meet a new “brilliant legal scholar.”

16 Likes

I wonder how Tranquilli the judge took his reassignment? I’m presuming, “Squealing like an alt-right man-baby.”

14 Likes

A shame they couldn’t reassign him to sewage treatment plant. He’d at least feel like he fit in with the surroundings.

14 Likes

That’s an awful thing to say!
Sewage plant workers help keep one of the most basic aspects of modern society running smoothly, and they don’t get paid nearly enough to deal with that lump of feces.

32 Likes

He ought to be reassigned to the 1940s. Aunt Jemima? Really?

13 Likes

I’ve said worse.

His peer there is the sewage- not the workers.

12 Likes

Aunt Jemima was actually Scottish/Syilx.

There was a street named after her in Winnipeg, but sadly it was changed to Elgin Street.

She felt racism.

Of clurse, this Aunt Jemima was my great, great grandmother Henrietta’s younger suster.

Why is he presiding over anything? Heaven help any black kids snagged for truancy or black motorists who end up in this shithead’s courtroom.

25 Likes

I must concur. Public sector workers get crapped on by the public all the time, but there are some tough, gross, physically taxing tasks that must be performed at water and wastewater plants in order for Joe and Jane Q Public to receive clean drinking water, and send their waste back out of their homes.

15 Likes

He shouldn’t be allowed in a court room at all until the investigation is complete. And then he should be disbarred. Hoping someone is keeping an eye on him down in traffic and school truants court.

17 Likes

3 Likes

No, none of that. Meet dRumph’s newest nominee to a lifetime appointment on a much higher court.

6 Likes

Kudos to the prosecutor for reporting this I guess. There are probably more than a few people in that position who would be happy to keep a racist “hanging judge” on the bench just to boost their own conviction rates.

14 Likes

The Romney affect?

6 Likes

I met a young white woman in Australia named Jemima. As the name is at once so tied to the stereotype, it took a long, long beat to process it. “Wait, what?”

She asked and so I had to explain the whole Aunt Jemima thing (and she pressed, so I had to really do some unpacking of it all). She had never heard of it. I fear that somewhere – in New Guinea, perhaps – there is a people who would find my name a horrible, horrible insult.

3 Likes

Quickly! To the Grumpy Cat / “Good” meme!

5 Likes

They should have just fired him.

6 Likes

I think elected judges can only be removed by impeachment.

4 Likes