Michigan judge suspended after racist, homophobic remarks: “I’m not systemically racist. I’m a new racist.”

Originally published at: Michigan judge suspended after racist, homophobic remarks

13 Likes

If you want to know who the mysterious Hutton is, or where the ‘new racist’ reference in the headline came from, then you’ll have to click through to the story:

Sadly, there is no attempt to explain how a ‘new racist’ differs from a traditional one.
[Narrator: It doesn’t]

The last line of the linked story suggests she may have thought judging was the family business so had no need to fear being ousted. /s

25 Likes

Instead of crediting her parents for teaching her racism, is she stating she became a racist because she’s just innately horrible?

23 Likes

Also, saying “I’m not a systemic racist” lets everyone know that she doesn’t understand what systemic racism is. But it does make me understand now why Republicans are always accusing Democrats of claiming that all white people are racist any time anyone talks about systemic racism. They think we’re saying that the system is making people racist.

26 Likes
12 Likes

“Meet the new racist, same as the old racist.”

27 Likes

We won’t get fooled again.

13 Likes

These assholes used to have to be more devious, but it’s harder to for them to keep the mask on when the hate is out there in the open in today’s political climate. Thanks, whistleblower.

13 Likes

Having lived in oakland county for several years, this doesn’t surprise me.

3 Likes

Pockets of it used to at least have the veneer of being better than that. It was difficult for me to see beyond that growing up there, despite my friends moving away (to specific OC cities) during what I now know was the white flight of the mid-90’s. Like you say, now I see this is hardly surprising.

3 Likes

Christ, what a Nazi asshole.

Great to here she was removed from her docket. I wonder what the process is for removing/firing a judge? Oh that it could be used for the SCOTUS Nazis too.

15 Likes

But the supply of fools seems never-ending. sigh.

5 Likes

“New” racist, my ass. I can’t for the life of me tell this from the same old shit.

8 Likes

Yeah, I was gonna say… there is no fucking difference. They’re pushing the same old lazy, debunkable bullshit that “old” racists were…

Uh Huh Reaction GIF by Originals

9 Likes

Even if there was a discernible difference between being an “old racist” and a “new racist” this would be like saying “I’m not a Nazi, I’m a Neo-Nazi.”

It’s not better! In fact it’s arguably worse, because it means you chose that path of hate and violence after most everyone else knew better, so you don’t even have the excuse that you were just going along with the social norms of your time.

21 Likes

See Jon Ossoff GIF by Election 2020

8 Likes

… stating and illustrating at the same time :thinking:

5 Likes

Maybe she’s a “new racist” in the same way that laundry detergents are always being marketed as “new and improved”.

“New racism gets your Whites whiter than White,” something like that.

6 Likes

8 Likes

Weighing Martin Short GIF by PBS SoCal

3 Likes