Jury convicts ex-Goldman Sachs programmer of code theft, despite avocado tampering

$15 per day.

$20 a day for each of the first 10 days.
$60 a day for the 11th to 49th days.
$100 a day for 50 or more days.

Not counting, expenses. We were given a $10/day transportation expense–for example.

They aren’t required to do so, and no company I’ve ever worked for did.

My temporary agency at the time, paid. They calculated by using the wages of the last temp job. This a small company consisting of less than 30.

That would be insufficient. You should show bank statements, hours lost of work, equivalent wages that you really need, even tax assessment if necessary.

The usual way I’ve seen potential jurors getting excluded because of financial concerns is when they suggest that those concerns might be distracting or biasing. The court should not want a juror who is going to resent detail in the prosecution’s case or the defendant for putting on a defense. Nor should it want someone whose mind is going to wander to financial concerns the whole time.

Usually potential jurors who suggest that they will have such problems are excused for cause, but, when they aren’t, a party will usually exercise a peremptory challenge.

My region is not typically hard up for jurors, so YMMV.

1 Like

As I said, I had one line, four inches long, in which I was to explain the details of my financial hardship. There was no way for me to relay all that information. The court officers I contacted at the time instructed me that that was the only way I could claim a financial hardship.

And by the way, I actually was interested in the idea of serving on a jury. There’s just no way I could afford to do it.

Whether and how much the court pays you for jury service is extremely variable, but any place I’ve been called for jury duty, the payment has been on the order of “bus fare + lunch”, not “your regular wages” or even minimum wage.

Whether your employer pays you while you’re at jury service depends on your employer (but if you’re self-employed, obviously you lose, and usually if you’re working low-end hourly jobs, you also lose.) Most large companies pay salaried workers their salary if they’re on jury duty, and it wouldn’t surprise me if there were law about companies with government contracts having to do that, at least in some states.

There are 7 foot tall Chinese men too but from what I can tell, they’re the exception. Last time I went, it looked more like a bread line than a panel of attentive thesis examiners.

Not in California or Federal Grand Jury; financial hardship is not a compelling reason. However, I do know that both state and feds will postpone it once or twice. (Currently serving on jury duty in California)

and Sergey already did time, which he shouldn’t have anyway. But somehow between the public need to see someone punished and Goldman Sachs’ desire to get back at him because he was going to leave made him the perfect scapegoat.

If you are self-employed you can usually use the reason that you are the key person in your organization. I’ve had to use this a number of time, as I run a small business, even though I would probably have been interested in doing the jury duty.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.