Jury would not convict white militiamen who aimed guns at federal law enforcement officers

Well said.

Unfortunately I am sadly aware had this man been black or some other non-caucasian color he probably would be facing some kind of ‘attempted assault with a deadly weapon’ felony charge.

I am displeased by this inequity.

2 Likes

There’s literally a picture of them pointing a gun at law enforcement officers at the top of the article.

26 Likes

Welcome to Boing Boing, comrade.

18 Likes

If they’d had brown skin the story (on FoxNews) would have been about the courageous law enforcement officers who were forced to shoot the insane out of control bad men for their own protection. They had no choice! (Besides, they were probably illegal immigrants, multigenerational welfare recipients who sold drugs, stole from children/old people and burned flags.).

6 Likes

I don’t know what the defense was, but I’m guessing it comes down to intent. You can use extraordinary force to defend yourself from the police when they are acting illegally. If the gentleman in the photo truly believed the police were doing something illegal and his only intent was to prevent that from happening, that may be enough to sway some juries.

I think it’s quite obvious at this point that the 2nd amendment just needs to be rewritten as the White-wing intend it to be: “the White people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed”

7 Likes

Well, that was it’s original meaning.

6 Likes

The original purpose of the thing was to suppress slave revolts.

5 Likes

The Black Lives Matter movement only gained notoriety several months after this incident in Ferguson, Missouri after the death of Michael Brown, and they exist to peacefully protest extrajudicial killings of unarmed black people by police and others acting on their behalf. They certainly weren’t anywhere near or the least bit concerned about a bunch of grown men playing pretend terrorists in the middle of rural Nevada let alone inclined to show up in order to point rifles at them along side federal agents.

I mean, just what kind of bubble do you live in?

Is this a cry for help?

I just don’t understand how someone could seriously believe this nonsense.

10 Likes

No it wasn’t. It was to provide a pool of armed people to pull from during war.

Slave revolts were a concern in the south, and there had been successful ones in the Caribbean, but they didn’t add it to the Constitution because of that. I am well aware of the various articles claiming this, but the evidence of people worried about revolts was small compared to the evidence of people wanting to guarantee the right that the British tried to remove, as well as building a militia based military , vs a standing army they would have to pay for.

3 Likes

He/she is referring to the original BLM - Bureau of Land Management. Not Black Lives Matter.

If you hadn’t cut the quote off it would have made more sense.

4 Likes

The only lawlessness was on the part of the ranchers.

10 Likes

He meant Bureau of Land Mangement

8 Likes

Well fuck me. :confused:

9 Likes

But only for some. Remember, George Orwell called it, “Some pigs are more equal than others.” And just guess what the delineator is…

6 Likes

Sounds like next time they shouldn’t give them a chance to take a shot at jury nullification…

NRA lobby bucks will make it so.

4 Likes

You point a rifle at a cop in Philly - I’m betting you don’t make it to trial.

12 Likes

They’ll certainly have a shot at it.

6 Likes

“truth is cultural” (julian janes?)

1 Like