Just the recipe: services hide life stories and popups from food blogs

Originally published at: Just the recipe: services hide life stories and popups from food blogs | Boing Boing

1 Like

Roger Ap Bio GIF by PeacockTV

4 Likes

Once you put a work of art or craft out into the world for all to behold, you give up control of how it’ll be experienced. Write all the self-congratulatory and SEO-friendly cruft you want before your recipe, but it’s bad form to complain when readers find a way to ignore it and cut to the chase.

4 Likes

I can see an intrinsic, less-cynical value in the life stories part. Patreon and other subscription and direct-support methods thrive on the para-social relationships between content creators (gag) and their audience. Podcasts are the ultimate cruftware, but they create something more than the useful nugget. If How Did This Get Played were just the Review Crew segment I would not be a listener.

That said, I think the content creators themselves should make a “just the facts, ma’am” versions of their content to retain control of the process in the face of this obvious market desire. It could also be a way to pull in new (lower-case “p”) patrons who decide to eventually click to read more…

2 Likes

This is a real problem that bothers me. I’ve gotten in the habit of rewriting recipes and posting them on my own recipe blog (that has no preamble text at all) so I can have usable recipes. But it’s kind of a pain because then some recipes don’t work out and need to be deleted. I’ll definitely try out justtherecipe.com the next time I want to just try a new recipe.

2 Likes

10 Likes

One day I’m gonna write a book about a recipe blogger that confesses to murder in every single recipe on their website but they never get caught because no one reads the 12 pages of text before the recipe.

— Dea Poirier (@deapoirierbooks) February 14, 2021

You may laugh, but that’s the plot twist to Full Metal Alchemist.

2 Likes

So tired of this trope being dragged out every few months as click bait.

Think about it — it’s incredibly expensive to be a food blogger. The cost of food, the equipment, the photography equipment, utility bills, the time in shopping, planning, photographing, editing, writing — food bloggers should switch to being paid content like cookbooks. Do you not want to be paid for your work? Food bloggers shouldn’t work for free either.

It’s not the food blogger’s fault they need to recoup expenses (or try to survive) by having to comply with word minimum SEO demands or have to have ad networks that jack up their pages. It’s the readers who expect free stuff, that’s the problem. That’s the monster that created this. The complainers are at fault. Blame yourselves.

Regardless, why land on a blog for a recipe if you’re going to complain that it has extra words above it anyway? And what’s so terrible about reading a few extra words?

We all just suffered through this article. Maybe next time just post only the links.

2 Likes

I take this one step further and let my geek flag fly.

I have a mediawiki server running at home and create a page for each recipe I want to keep. This lets me search by any criteria I wish (ingredient, cooking time, etc).

I just cut and past the recipe from the web page and re-format to my liking.

JustTheWonderfulThings.com?

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.