Justice departmen: right-wing influencers paid by Russians

Originally published at: Justice departmen: right-wing influencers paid by Russians - Boing Boing

10 Likes

Remember: this isn’t censorship but Brazil pursuing Twitter is.
Nor is banning TikTok. Or Muslim TV channels. Or pro-Palestinian advocacy. Or providing women’s health information. Or health information for trans teens. Or queer kids.

Etc. etc.

18 Likes

Coming soon, a Supreme Court rules that this sort of blatant corruption by foreign governments is just freedom of speech and completely legal . . . . if you’re a pro-fascist Republican, at least. 6-3 ruling, can’t argue with that. Thomas writes the majority opinion.

17 Likes

Given their history of making stupid and fact-challenged statements, these two should have no problem convincing a court they were ignorant to get around this:

16 Likes

I notice that at least one of these influencers has come out saying that they were producing this content before their involvement with Tenet, which is a bit weird as defenses go: “I was making Russian propaganda all on my own, even before the Russians were paying me!”

21 Likes

Hipster useful idiots: “I was making Russian disinformation before it was cool!”

17 Likes

HAHAHAHAHAHAA. You dumb, bald fucking idiot.Oh my god. HAHAHAHAAHAA. Fucking shit. This is great.

Unfun fact - a tweet of mine was on his fucking show a few months ago. I was replying to someone else talking about him, and I guess it came up and was mentioned/read on the show. Oddly, it was my only tweet about him where I wasn’t completely calling him a moron, more focused on the overarching story he was involved in. :confused:

10 Likes

In fact you can legally shill for Russia all the live long day. You just have to disclose that’s what you’re doing.

16 Likes

Looks like every second Tenet pundit was also peddling Orbán’s propaganda, or even visited Hungary. Besides getting secret payments from Russia, it seems like they received speaking fees for talking at @MCC_Budapest or @InstituteDanube. Laura Chen was in Hungary just weeks ago.

13 Likes

11 Likes

I wonder if they’ve run afoul of the foreign agents registration act …

(Please let it be so, but at the least, hood the company liable and confiscate the payments made to the “influencers” as illegal. That would be great. )

8 Likes

I accidentally read this as “legally sh*t for Russia.” Which also works, I guess.

7 Likes

Gotta post this again:

14 Likes

What a great hiding place. No one would look there for anything of value.

10 Likes

Does it strike anyone else as a bit peculiar that an ostensibly American outlet would describe itself as having a “focus on Western political and cultural issues”? Do Americans think of American, let alone Ukrainian and Hungarian issues as “Western”?

10 Likes

I feel like this has been common knowledge for awhile, but maybe the random folks denying it will stop? lol of course not.

4 Likes

It’s really VERY simple. Putin misses having a dupe, a puppet, if you will, in the White House, and he will do literally ANYTHING to try to get him back there again. This is not speculation, this is a FACT.

4 Likes

This has become code for “white Christo fascist” etc. Nazis who maybe are not quite ready to publicly Nazi.

11 Likes

I have to wonder, why is this russian right-wing bribery not seen as a severe national security issue? For it really is one…

9 Likes

So these kinds of outlets regularly use “Western” in this way? It makes them sound even more like somebody East of here is pulling the strings.

8 Likes