Justifiably angry man hacks evil GE refrigerator

Yeah, same here with a Brother printer. And you know what? It’s WAY more reliable; the wireless printing… just works!

6 Likes

This is why I have bought an electromechanical fridge and freezer. also my coffe machine is electromechanical and also my kneading machine (made in USA btw) is.

2 Likes

That’s just a deserved punishment for agonizing your fellow humans’ eyes with your shitty ink-jet printouts. You all had it coming. Stop it or kids will soon be deflating your tires, cats will bite you and strange people shout at you on the phone in the middle of the night.

2 Likes

As anyone that has worked in a research lab would tell you,the money is in the consumables!

Fridges as a service

4 Likes

In the rest of the world we solved this problem by getting our water from the tap where it is perfectly cold for drinking.

11 Likes

Well, not exactly the rest of the world, but at least in many parts of Europe.

Besides, truly a very US-american problem.
But then, also burning water is.

9 Likes

This is why we can’t have ice things.

19 Likes

With this method you take the rfid stamp from a “bypass” cartridge and simply slap it on whatever filter you damn well please.

The bypass cartridge… It’s whole reason for being is the RFID chip! (Mechanically, they can easily make the filter-capable refrigerator dispense water without a filter; mine certainly does.) But I’m sure the customer thinks the dummy “cartridge” is “doing something.” Of course it’s not.

I mean, this is all software. GE could just let you turn off the silly reader if you want to “bypass”. But, see, that kinesthetically gets you out of the habit of “using a cartridge.” The bypass cartridge itself is just a marketing device to make you feel guilty for not having a GE water filter!

2 Likes

I once got an HP printer for free from a former boss. It was fine right up until it refused to print a black and white document because it was out of yellow ink and found itself unceremoniously tossed in a dumpster. I regret it, now. I should have disposed of it properly in an e-waste facility.

I don’t really need to own my own printer anymore, but if I ever do I’ll keep Brother in mind.

5 Likes

Buying smart appliances is a stupid decision.

5 Likes

And may well burn your house down when it catches fire! There have been so many recalls for Whirlpool and associated products here in the U.K. I’m amazed they still manage to sell anything!

2 Likes

It’s the razor blade business model.

1 Like

Smart fridges are cool, but after a few short years you could be stuck with a big frosty brick in the kitchen

4 Likes

OK - gonna have to seek clarification. Do you mean US chips (UK crisps - and why would anyone ever put those in a freezer FFS?) or do you mean UK chips (US fries)? Frozen chips (UK) are a staple for many and are fine, though opinions vary as to whether they are best grilled (UK = US broiled?), baked in the oven or actually fried. I’ve never tried frying freezer chips (fries). Oven baking or grilling (UK) works fine.

I’m totally with you re the ice thing, though.

Have had several Canon printers and always used third party inks no problem. Mind you, I haven’t bought one for a few years now - they seem to go on and on.

2 Likes

Totally agreed.

The reasons are very easy to arrive at by knowing Cory’s stance on advertising and surveillance on the internet and by looking at the lack of that on his new site (The question isn’t as much why it happened but more why it took so long). But still, some discussion about the terms they parted on would have been nice.

4 Likes

The fridge before my current iteration came with a bypass plug; I think I still have it on a shelf somewhere, come to think about it.

The current iteration is also a whirlpool; There’s a 6-month timer for it’s filter. I don’t know if it uses an RFID chips or not, but according to the manual it just whines at the operator when it’s time. :slight_smile:

When my monochrome HP all-in-one laser finally dies, it’s probably getting replaced with either a brother color laser, or a canon ImageRunner that’s intended for small businesses. And this is coming from someone who used to repair HP printers and was rather fond of how bulletproof they used to be.

1 Like

For me, the downside to the plastic trays is that my children were allergic to refilling them.

Plus if you wanted to use the ice in a blender you either had to find some way to crush them or improvise a way to get crushed ice or get special ice cube trays.

How long ago were printers bullet proof and not disposable?

For every hacker there are 10,000 people getting screwed. profit++

P.S. you eventually need to replace your water filter. Not that I could dig up any cases of Legionella in a water filter system. Maybe it’s theoretically possible, but seems low risk.