Justin Keller doesn't want to see poor people in San Francisco

Here is Wonkette’s introduction to a line-by-line review of Mr. Keller’s entitled plea for a draconian crackdown against unsheltered people in San Francisco.

Oh boy, you guys. Oh boy oh boy oh boy. Keller, in a post that has mystifyingly not yet been deleted, goes for it harder and more cluelessly than any dumb, privileged motherfucker has ever gone for it. At one point, he actually uses the word “riff raff.” Strap the fuck in. …

The Guardian reported that Justin Keller of Commando.io wrote an open letter to San Francisco mayor Ed Lee:

I am writing today, to voice my concern and outrage over the increasing homeless and drug problem that the city is faced with. I’ve been living in SF for over three years, and without a doubt it is the worst it has ever been. Every day, on my way to, and from work, I see people sprawled across the sidewalk, tent cities, human feces, and the faces of addiction. The city is becoming a shanty town … Worst of all, it is unsafe. …

The wealthy working people have earned their right to live in the city. …

I don’t want to see homeless riff-raff.

He goes on and on.

Does the mayor have a comment?

https://cdck-file-uploads-global.s3.dualstack.us-west-2.amazonaws.com/boingboing/optimized/3X/a/f/af73d9092e3551fec9aa549f877cd66ab526b4d7_1_416x500.gif

3 Likes

Sigh. Here’s the obligatory: christ, what an arsehole.

1 Like

Aren’t his words symptomatic of an entire hegemonic frame?

Oblivious, entitled delivery-guys working for short (and long) term capital gains tax-avoiding infants?

Replace “site” with supply side economic policies, and replace “nuke” with democratize.

Doing it from orbit seems okay.

3 Likes

Ed Lee? I’m guessing something along the lines of, “Yes Mr. Keller! Right away Mr. Keller!”

I know.

Are you employed sir?

2 Likes

2 Likes

While he is an elitist, rich asshole, it is a fact that downtown San Francisco is covered in human feces.

An amazingly tone deaf and entitled letter on Keller’s part, yet what he describes as he clutches his pearls is a real problem in SF - not the problem that the rich have to see such things, but such things really are a part of downtown SF and people are living them, and there are no solutions in the pipeline that will really change it. The ad powered toilets certainly didn’t. Nor did the temporary Potemkin Superbowl village sweeps. So, I hope people won’t use Keller’s snobbishness as an excuse to say that there is no problem.

Of course not. :smiley_cat: His words and presence in the city are a key symptom of the problem.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 364 days. New replies are no longer allowed.