Kathy Stevens, aka the "Hugging Bandit," now in Florida jail

Originally published at: Kathy Stevens, aka the "Hugging Bandit," now in Florida jail | Boing Boing

2 Likes

Pretty much why i keep my wallet in my front pocket. Well for one its more comfortable when sitting down, but its also harder to lift the wallet or any of the cards in it without one noticing

16 Likes

While on the one hand, “Florida Woman”, on the other hand I’ve gotta admire her style.

I’m wondering how many men didn’t even bother to report her (or didn’t notice).

5 Likes

I would imagine it takes a lot of skill to take just a credit card without taking the rest of the wallet. She’s probably not new to this game.

11 Likes

Years ago I abandoned traditional wallets for this reason and because they so easily get overstuffed. I found a metal business card holder that is big enough to fit credit cards. If it doesn’t fit, it belongs somewhere else. I’ve got a credit card, state ID, $20 cash, 3 insurance cards, my theatre membership card, AAA card and vaccine card. I can hardly tell it’s in my front pocket and never end up stuffing it with crap I don’t need. The last time a granny groped me all she got was a handful of ass! Take that!

13 Likes

It’s not clear if she has obtained an attorney.

…or their wallet.

12 Likes

If I was still doing short cons and pickpocketing at that age I’d consider my entire life a failure and head toward the nearest and highest bridge to end it all.

2 Likes

Let’s not make light of suicide (or suggest it’s actually a good idea in this instance, not sure which you’re doing)

Besides, for all we know this woman has psychological issues and is doing it for the thrill of it, or for other reasons besides financial survival.

8 Likes

For love of the game?

9 Likes

After the fact Winona Ryder said that she thinks she did that shoplifting because she “needed a break” from acting and subconsciously wanted to get caught.

It probably was about money in this case, and maybe in Ryder’s as well. But I was also thinking about how some folks like the Marie Schrader character in Breaking Bad really do steal stuff they don’t need for other reasons.

6 Likes

Oh My George Takai GIF

13 Likes

Grifters like this can’t stop, especially (but not exclusively) if they’re completely incompetent in managing their ill-gotten gains. It’s an addiction. A certain septuagenarian fake tycoon who managed to con his way into the White House also comes to mind.

12 Likes

8 Likes

You invented the Ridge Wallet?! :astonished:

3 Likes

No, but I also didn’t spend $150. I imagine if I ever have to use it to protect myself from a nuclear blast I may regret not going with a Ridge, but we all take risks.

3 Likes

She got my dentures!

2 Likes

There may be an explosion as both fight for the other’s wallet. Like matter and anti-matter colliding.

Back pocket is just about the worst place to carry a wallet.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.