Keanu Reeves laughs his ass off at NFTs

Thread’s over, everybody go home.

15 Likes

I know that laugh. It mocks both the message and the messenger.

10 Likes

Oxymorons are funny, I mean, digital scarcity?

8 Likes

I watched it once, and my heart broke. The did my man Bill Gibson wrong. “Johnny Mnemonic” was a great little short story from his Sprawl era, originating out of Molly’s backstory in Neuromancer. I wore my copy of Burning Chrome out reading and re-reading it.

What mademakes William Gibson’s stories so good was that the tech didn’t need details, the important thing was exploring how it changed people, and how in the end it didn’t change them.

14 Likes

At least the super rich can store their wealth in NFTs rather than buying and driving up the cost of housing, making it more difficult for regular people to find reasonable shelter.

3 Likes

Made? I read The Peripheral and Agency last year. I’d say he’s still very good at what he does

6 Likes

Having him fight some sort of Blockchain Serpent could be fun; with each of his attacks knocking a link out of the chain, and KOing the subject of that link in the Matrix.

3 Likes

However, those NTFs do burn a lot of energy; so the rich are still screwing us up. Business as usual. :sob:

7 Likes

I mean… the original story still exists, of course…

I think we should be happy how much sci-fi/fantasy adaptations have improved in recent years?

8 Likes

But the money spent on NFTs doesn’t go nowhere, it goes to the scammy NFT dudebros. I don’t think they are going to be any more responsible with what they do with that money. In fact I’m betting they will spent it to buy more power plants to run at 100% capacity 24/7 for no reason but minting more cryptocurrency/NFTs. So we get to (maybe) move the housing price inflation to energy price inflation.

5 Likes

Hopefully someone has made Members OnlyFans. It’s OnlyFans but you have to wear the jacket, no matter what you are doing in your subscriber videos.

6 Likes

True dat. I feel his best trilogy so far was the Bigend Cycle (Pattern Recognition, Spook Country, Zero History) because it reminds me of how we really are living in the future and haven’t quite grasped it. His most recent novels are also excellent, exploring just how the trajectories we are on might change us without going all apocalyptic.

5 Likes

Glad to see Keanu has significantly more knowledge and sense than Matt Damon. Hope his giggle manages to swerve some people away from the crypto cult.

5 Likes

That is verified. Decency confirmed.

“He took a huge pay cut in ‘The Matrix’ just so the heroes behind the scenes in the makeup, special effects and costume crews can get a salary boost. That figure sits at around $75 million and each member got around $1 million each.”

8 Likes

“I want room service!!!”

4 Likes

Nailed it.

3 Likes

But the super-rich aren’t putting their wealth into NFTs, any more than they are investing in bitcoin or ethereum or shibacoin or whatever.

This stuff is what the wannabe rich and super-rich pour their money into, a digital get-rich-quick scheme with the promise that you, too, can get rich outside the rigged system of banks and governments and regulated exchanges! The super-rich don’t need that. The existing system is already good for them, and they don’t want an alternate system that could erode their wealth and power and influence.

At most the super-rich will dabble at the exchanges, or get involved (at an arm’s length most likely) with the creation of new cryptojunk, peddled to the hopeful idiots.

9 Likes

And dodge paying taxes, most likely.

2 Likes

Someone said that super-rich people are usually not libertarians, because they know that big government means big opportunities to make money.

6 Likes

Imagine if AOL had a FB-style rebrand in the early 90s, it might have called itself Cyber :sweat_smile:

4 Likes