Kentucky Derby winner Medina Spirit becomes the 20th horse to die at Santa Anita this year

Given the context of horse racing I believe @mgrey may be confused and is thinking of Bill Shoemaker (not Schumacher) who’s was the jockey that got paralyzed in a solo drunk driving accident and somehow won a big cash settlement after suing Ford for making their cars so crashable.

Or, equally likely, I’m misreading the whole conversation.

So basically ‘sports medicine’ but veterinary?

2 Likes

Reminds me of the rescued racing greyhounds that I see being walked sometimes. Nice to see, though they always seem a little off in their interaction with humans. Clearly not raised as pets I guess.

3 Likes

He took a header while skiing and was in a coma & then in a wheelchair for years. He still can’t talk. Jokes about things that leave people paralyzed and reference people with similarly horrible injuries are in poor taste, regardless of how the injury happened.

1 Like

I wasn’t trying to make a joke about spinal injury. I used his name because I was talking about how fast something would happen and he is a famously fast race car driver.

I just saw a headline about this…

Disgraced Kentucky Derby winner Medina Spirit

Wtf, the horse wasn’t disgraced, the owner, the trainer, the track, the industry, all disgraced, not the horse.

The horse had no choice.

1 Like

That’s a fair point. My point is that humorously referencing something that can cause permanent severe lifelong disability to someone with permanent severe lifelong disability which could be caused by the humorously referenced action isn’t the best choice.

There are plenty of other famously fast race car drivers that don’t have to solely communicate with eye movements that could be used as a comparison.

1 Like

So, um, Funky cold Medina?

Too soon. Gotcha.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.