Kevinism: discrimination against people named “Kevin”

Um, it’s actually 5.5 to 2.5 plus Keleven.

1 Like

Which Kevin are you?

No, no, you just don’t understand…(poor thing)
/s :wink:

3 Likes

Gavins can be pretty annoying…

4 Likes

something something… Karen!

But I do have to admit that there are certain super popular names that bug me. I feel that there were times during GirlChild’s playground days that I could have yelled “Kai”, “Jayden”, “Aiden”, or “Madison” and had most of the kids at the playground run over.

Then there was the kid when Girlchild was in kindergarten “Abcetty” spelled ABCDE… No shit. I took that as the parents being less intelligent though, and just felt pity for the child.

2 Likes

I dunno - might be hard to resist if your last name was Ellemnope.

I leave the middle name as an exercise for the reader

5 Likes

kevin-bacons-tears

9 Likes

One of these years, I’ll understand how that developed. Meg, Marge, Maggie, Greta, Retta, etc. easily link back to the name, but that one always sounds different enough to make me question when it started to be commonly used.

8 Likes

Malcom and not Malcolm? Someone knocked the L out of them.

7 Likes

I love movies that use songs in new and exciting ways.

1 Like

Add “Daisy” to your list. The French word for Daisy (the flower) is “La marguerite” of which Margaret is the anglicized version. Daisy was used as a nickname for people named Margaret.

Oh, and the French “Marguerite” is derived from the greek word for pearl “margarite” (μαργαριτάρι). I have no idea why though. Maybe because a daisy that hasn’t unfurled its petals looks like a pearl stud? That’s a guess.

I think “Peg” just rhymes with “Meg” and that’s about it.

8 Likes

I wonder what Germans think about people named Adolf?

I’ve never quite figured out why Polly is a nickname for Mary, thought I would imagine that a semi-unique nickname would be useful when half the girls in the village were named that. The more the merrier; they need not make sense.

That’s also where margarine comes from. The word.
The guy who developed it was French, and early versions were a shiny grey that looked a bit like the colour pearls have.
Nothing like the margarine we I know and love ignore today at all. Late 18th century, IIRC.

3 Likes

Diversion into head-shaking baby name choices, yay. My daughter went to an upscale preschool. There was a fashion for French names. In her class there was both an Annelie and an Oralie. Disappointingly, they were not twins.

3 Likes

Took a while for this Kevin to become appreciated in Hamburg.

3 Likes

Well, Marge - looks like I was off a mere century:

5 Likes

Wow TIL my name is both exotic-sounding and Anglo-American.

Hmmm, now I’m trying to picture what a pair of “Margaret dukes” shorts would look like…

3 Likes

Really, the derision aimed towards kids with certain names is not really aimed at the kids, but at their parents. The kids are seen as handicapped at christening, and are being challenged to prove they don’t fit the cliche of the milieu they supposedly come from.

But in the end, it’s really about feeling superior. Much like blondes before them. Or those who drove Opel Mantas.

2 Likes