KFC suggests Germany commemorate Kristallnacht with "more tender cheese"

This is what happens when you poach marketing executives from Chick-fil-A.

4 Likes

System error, sure. Specifically PEBKAC error.

“Correctly”? Here in Germany, few people if any will think it’s a good idea to go eat a “fried chicken + cheese thing” at KFC in order to celebrate the memory of Nazis burning synagogues and attacking Jewish businesses. It’s fairly safe to assume that not even the actual neo-Nazis will stoop that low (they tend to be almost as anti-American as they’re anti-Semitic).

In any case, KFC in Germany can do perfectly well without PR stunts that are guaranteed to backfire. These days KFC is probably the most unpopular among the big fast-food chains here to begin with. My money is on “badly-edited holiday list”.

5 Likes

You’re assuming that people make snack decisions through careful moral deliberation, but marketers understand how consumption actually works.

Ten social-media outrages from now (i.e. next Monday), no one will remember the details of this, but they will be aware that some kind of cheesy KFC is available. And that affects many more people than a normal KFC tweet would reach. They don’t need to win hearts and minds, they just need to show the hogs where the trough is and let nature take its course.

Meanwhile, on BoingBoing, today…

I guess Nov 11 is something else in the US. Right? It must be.

4 Likes

You don’t know about mop shoe day?

7 Likes

In the US it’s Veterans Day, which I understand is traditionally about selling mattresses.

8 Likes

We went to war for the right to be advertised mattresses

6 Likes

In Canada (and I presume other Commonwealth countries?) it’s Remembrance Day, a very similar holiday. Traditionally it was about WWI (hence the poppies) but has kinda expanded to be generally about remembering veterans. I’ve already bought and lost two poppies so far this month. :woman_facepalming: I need to invest in a safety pin for those things.

6 Likes

Hey, even KFC knows that:

Via:
KFC bot urges Germans to mark Kristallnacht with cheesy chicken

4 Likes
6 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.