Kickstarting a next-gen steampunk nixie clock

[Permalink]

Call me a purist, but I prefer my steampunk nixie devices to be last-gen.

2 Likes

This is one of those articles that was entirely generated by randomly combining keywords from past BB headlines. I like it!

7 Likes

I have been looking for a kit of just those components.

1 Like

It looks like that gizmo from Steins;Gate - now if only it worked the same!

1 Like

Was a tad disappointed to see that this one here only simulates it.

1 Like

Wow that’s one precision replica!

Paging @nixiebunny - pick up the White Courtesy You’ve Been Outflanked Telephone, please.

Sheesh!

Disappointed to see this was not your stuff.

Also, more video of the video-coat, please. From a distance, in the dark.

OTOH, what’s steampunk about a nixietube?

Dieselpunk, perhaps? …but that would be, mmmmmmm!, dials.

##Probably cathodepunk.

Crackle-paint finish, lots of buttons and blinky-lights. Waving needle-gauges. The size of a large desk, and twice as heavy.

4 Likes

Nixietubes weren’t made until the 1950s, so it’s more like atompunk

1 Like

We need more atompunk. WAY more atompunk.

Why the Nixie clocks aren’t made with decatrons? At least for the seconds and sub-seconds? The spinning dots would add quite a lot of the period feel, making it look more like an atomic test countdown console.

…also, why the clocks don’t have a countdown mode?

All that’s needed is daisychaining the decatron-nixie pairs in a way that each digit is controlled with a Reset and Increment (and maybe Decrement) pulse. A microcontroller then can just provide the setting and the clock pulses.

Edit: Thought: What about making an integrated decatron-nixie pair? Both in a single tube, with only the GND/RST/INC/DEC signals going out of the bottle?

Awesome, I love all nixie tube things. Good luck to Kyle.

1 Like

Regardless of what its called, it’s a cool looking and unique piece of work. Takes a lot of skill to make something like this. A nice take on the traditional mantle clock.

1 Like

I neglected to say that, and it was churlish of me.

Lots of skill to make something like this, skill I hain’t got, that’s for sure.

Look at this steampunk ukelele nixie banana clock on Kickstarter on the subway. Just look at it.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.