Kickstarting a portable electric motor for city-share bikes

Using Citi Bike as an example the solution is to get back on the subway & get off at the right stop, then use Citi Bike.

10k from bikestand to destination is impossible without passing dozens & dozens of subway stops near dozens & dozens of bikestands. It would be an odd thing to even have a starting point & destination 10k from each other in that system & it is fairly large. You might need to find the 2 bikestands that are furthest from one another

None of the Bixi systems could accommodate that situation either

ToS for bike sharing already prohibits such devices, i.e. you mustn’t adapt the bike.
Any form of accident with the rider using something like this and they are screwed.

2 Likes

Manhattan is full of Chinese delivery guys on (illegal) electric bicycles. They whip up (and down!) the bikes lanes with impunity, cigarettes dangling from their bored faces.

The NYPD typically ignore them, even while being pushed by brass to hand out traffic to tickets to normal cyclists.

Electric bikes are not illegal in New York, apparently. So your statement comes off as just a bit racist. And anti-smoker.

@robcruickshank: the smugness of “Toronto cyclists” and other lycra weenies is unbearable. Thank goodness we don’t need to worry about them procreating - tight shorts prevents that.

2 Likes

Also the fact that it’s been cold enough to freeze all our bits off. You do have a point, though- while I can be “one of those cyclists”, there is a diversity in the cycling culture here that is not all “lycra weenies” and messengers. I think, though, that you will find that the dislike of the electric bikes cuts across the lines, mostly because of the well-intentioned but misguided decision to allow them in the bike lanes, where they typically do not play well. Most of the riders are not really familiar with cycling etiquette (such as it is) , and the large fairings on the “scooter” style bikes do not leave much room to pass safely. I agree with you that electrically assisted bikes would be ideal for a “last mile”, but unfortunately, our bike sharing sites are mostly clustered in the downtown core, where most spots are at most a 5 min walk from a subway. (our subway is a lot more compact that yours)

I think you’re wrong about that. It’s surely no less safe than the average moped and your city likely already has laws for dealing with the safety/registration/etc of mopeds.

In DC it’s legal to ride electric bikes or scooters (I think up to 50cc engine) in the bike lane, and nothing terrible has happened. Motorists and pedestrians are definitely the main source of problems in the bike lane.

That’s exactly the problem;“cycling etiquette (such as it is)” is not defined by the “serious cyclist.” aka lycra weenie. If anything, it is defined by the commuters and casual riders. If lycra weenies can’t share the bike lane with those riders, they should ride with the cars.

1 Like

You used to be able to buy everything used in this kit for about $75 from electronics surplus companies thanks to a company called EV Warrior, a failed electric bike company. I’m hoping this is somehow better.

Its illegal for both power and speed to be used in the UK, if the cops felt like it they could do you as an untaxed unlicensed uninsured moped rider.

This device is for modifying a bike that doesn’t belong to you. He’s saying that the companies+cities that operate bike shares will forbid modifiction of their bikes and he’s right.

They already do forbid it according to the Citi Bike Terms of Service, the main bikeshare featured in the kickstarter. The only modification to the bikes whatsoever is that the user may adjust the seat height using the provided means.

Killjoy? Maybe, but you can see why someone providing public transportation would forbid people modifying the vehicles. Especially to operate in a manner they were not designed for.

From the look of it the people in the kickstarter did not actually get with any bikeshare to collaborate. There is one line stating that the device currently complies with all bikeshare terms of service. But Citi Bike, the NYC bikeshare, clearly states

“You must not dismantle, write on, or otherwise modify or deface a Citi Bike bicycle or any part of a Citi Bike bicycle in any way. You must not write on, peel, or otherwise modify or deface any sticker on a Citi Bike bicycle in any way. You must not use a Citi Bike bicycle for any advertising or similar commercial purpose. This rule does not apply to the use of the seat height adjustment feature on Citi Bike bicycles.”

When a rule that states you must not modify has an exemption for the integrated seat height adjustment it means do not modify the bike in any way.

They need to collaborate with these bikeshares. Thankfully the product is designed with more than bikeshares in mind, from here it looks like bikeshares are a convenient marketing vehicle for the product, because really, that is a tiny tiny market, esp considering among subscribers who will want to pay that much.

That they used Citi Bike for advertising when that too is expressly forbidden tells me that they didn’t really do much reading of terms of service, or they did & decided to ignore. So they put in one line about & that’s it.

1 Like

not true
gov guidelines

"ShareRoller’s 750 Watts of power will propel you effortlessly at up to 18mph without pedaling "

“the electric motor shouldn’t be able to propel the bike when it’s travelling more than 15mph”

“the motor shouldn’t have a maximum power output of more than 200 watts if it’s a bicycle”

Couldn’t agree more, actually, having been clipped by many more of them than the scooter riders.

electric bikes ARE illegal in new york.

AND we like to get into it about people’s race, ethnicity, smoking habits, and how much your rent is. it’s refreshing actually.

2 Likes

In fact the Kickstarter webpage does acknowledge that the UK model will adhere to the parameters you’ve found.

Unfortunately Barclay’s specifically prohibits attaching any accessory to the bicycle.

There is/was (27 days left!) a very good approach to collaboration with all of these bikeshares, at least the large ones. That is, they are very hard to run, often under-funded & often in need of more subscribers. It could easily be presented as a licensing opportunity that would increase ridership.

• So much of the project’s done due diligence would make technical consideration by the bikeshare quick compared to starting from scratch.

• Offer revenue, get promotion to subscribers & a x1000 visibility boost. For a 2.5%-5% licensing arrangement based on locale & whether the mount is for a bikeshare bicycle, the unit could bear the branding of the maker & the intended bikeshare system, the bikeshare supplying it’s own stickers to the spec of the maker.

• Be ready for concessions. Maybe the bikeshare does not envision 18mph as desirable. Remember this is an assist, not a motor. If it is maxed out at 12mph w/out pedalling it is still an awesome product for people who want a small motor of this sort.

• Play nice, make friends. If they don’t need subscribers, they still want them. Create a conciliatory growth scheme pitch. Offer 1+ years of bike subscription w/purchase to incentivize your product to persons not currently subscribed. Negotiate a reduced rate for that subscription with the bikeshare. Note that the initial investment by the prospective customer in your product dramatically increases the odds of subscription renewal. You could negotiate that fee to half with that alone. Don’t complain to me about margins. If $50.00 was already your margin on a $1000.00 product with such a limited market you were already scuppered.

I could go on & on. There was no reason not to make this a marketing + design experiment in collaboration. The trade-off possibilities would boost this project right up into “feasible”.

Also, where’s Velib? They have 20,000+ bikes & easy to accommodate EU standards & a strong need for subscribers.

Electric Bicycles are, but electric assists are not. The distinction is fine but present.

Whether a cop will care if he sees you throttling without pedalling is unknown.

That article seems to think the federal statute supersedes the state/local. It is the other way around. If a locality wants to regulate the use of these more stringently than the federal regulation then they may do so.

Ah, yes, it seems you’re right. It’s not cut-and-dry, since some of New York’s rules only apply to cities bigger than a million people, but at least with the pure-electric scooters that are being used for food delivery these days in NYC, they do seem to be unlicensed and unlicensable and therefore not allowed on NYC streets.

I still take issue with you characterizing “delivery guys” as “Chinese” though - something tells me that you are lumping a large swath of ethnicities in to one. And maybe even stereotyping on gender too. I can tell you that personally in the last month I’ve had Chinese, Indian, Mexican, Korean, Turkish, and Japanese food delivered by electric scooter, and not once was the delivery person the same ethnicity as the food being delivered.

1 Like

Have any of the scooter delivery people there adopted the gimbal systems used in Japan to deliver bowls of noodles by scooter? I’ve always thought that was an idea that should come to North America.

1 Like

I would love that - I’d get buckets of Ramen delivered every night!