Kickstarting Reflectacles: super-reflective glasses-frames that look amazing

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2016/11/01/kickstarting-reflectables-sup.html

Scott Urban’s new Reflectacles glasses are Ray Ban-style frames that are embedded with the kind of retroreflective cat-eye materials used for highway markers, making them reflective at 500 yards at night, and nearly that visible by day. He’s kickstarting them at an astoundingly cheap $85/pair, in seven colors.

3 Likes

Neat, but probably not ballistic rated and therefor not really useful for my only possible justification, nighttime cycling. I might trade the remote chance of a rock strike for slightly better visibility, but head on collisions aren’t my number one concern and I can get more done with reflective tape in any event.

Cool novelty though.

4 Likes

there’s deffo cheaper garbage that will allow you to look like a dickhead now instead of ina years time

9 Likes

Great for people who really hate having their photo take I suppose.

10 Likes

Posting on the internet is pretty cheap these days.

6 Likes

is -able the -ly for maker nerds?

In the same vein, I wonder how they fare agnist CCTV cameras?

6 Likes

$85 a piece is “astoundingly” inexpensive?

9 Likes

$85 is relatively little compared to the hundreds of dollars the lenses cost. Then again, I only wear my glasses to get from my bed to the contacts and get new glasses about once every five years, so I don’t care about the frame.

1 Like
7 Likes

I was routinely spending upwards of $600 for lenses due to severe myopia (16 diopters). Combination of difficult prescription and highest index of refraction (= highest cost). Not to mention a limitation in frame design: if I wanted to avoid the Coke-bottle-bottom effect (which was an insult to Coke bottles) I had to get ones that could use small, circular lenses. I was looking forward to cataracts, which I got early (probably cortisone related). The intraocular lenses I got compensated for most of myopia; now I can actually read without glasses. Wow!

I only miss my previous microscopic super-vision now and then, but that’s a minor thing. An optivisor takes care of it.

7 Likes

It appears that they are actually called Reflectacles.

3 Likes

:open_mouth: Son-of-a-…

I cried when he said it’s the majority of his personality. I was thinking at that moment, it’s my only accessory.

2 Likes

Well, that makes much more sense

1 Like

Was the Wikipedia article for Luxottica written before or after this vid came out, because it reads like a spec-script for the short, almost word-for-word…

The glasses frames seem to have a flat front so the makers can lazily apply a reflective sticker too them. I’d call them incredibly ugly, with all the style of a pair of disposable cardboard 3D glasses. Certainly not “astoundingly cheap” for that level of aesthetic.

11 Likes

“Reflecticles?” No.

Reflesticles? MAYBE.

6 Likes

possible casey neistat thing

They probably don’t do much. It is the flash that makes them glow like that and CCTVs don’t flash.

2 Likes

Or you can buy mail order for $30 or less, lenses and shipping included.

1 Like