Kid who found a knife in a used backpack suspended for turning it in at school

I keep hitting the like button, but it stops going up after the first click.
I think I’m starting to fall in love with you.

7 Likes

Kid gets hit by bully while a teacher is watching.
Bully AND victim get sent to Principal’s office for fighting.
Kid asks principal why he’s in trouble.
Principal says "to teach you a lesson about getting into fights."
Kid says “I’ve learned my lesson. If someone hits me, I might as well kick the living shit out of them since I’ll get punished anyway.”

42 Likes

Hey, I’m medioccidnetal, myself. Doesn’t mean there isn’t a serious lack of fashion sense. Try buying a size medium t-shirt anywhere between PA and CA. Not happening.

4 Likes

Many of these policies apply to staff and administration as much to students. It’s possible that Mr. Boguth, if he handled the weapon, was equally in violation of the policy as the student, along with any administration or staff who had possession of it on school district grounds.

Meanwhile, come Track season, I wonder if they will get anyone signing up for the javelin…

8 Likes

If the administrators were asked, “Given the student found himself in this situation, through no action of his own, what would be the ideal response by the student?” and the answer was “what the kid actually did,” then you have a serious, serious problem in your school system if you’re punishing him for that. And if the answer was anything other than “what the kid actually did” then you also have a serious, serious problem in your school system.

28 Likes

We wait in long lines just to use the only computer in town.

9 Likes

Used this argument in high school, didn’t pan out super well.

3 Likes

-Why did you punish him?
-Because we could!

10 Likes

http://www.ratemyteachers.com/ his names on this site

2 Likes

Catholic school for 12 years. Same thing. The girls room outside the cafeteria at lunch was full of smoke - from both legal and illegal substances. Fights broke out all the time and I once watched a nun put a kid’s head through a slate blackboard. Nuns: the biggest bullies of all!

8 Likes

Never be involved in any critical thinking on your own.

Can’t show kids any adult examples of such nonsense like being able to make an intelligent, informed decision

6 Likes

On a lighter note, I just read the best word I’m likely to see all week :thumbsup:

5 Likes

Hopefully they fight this and hopefully MI Court system does what MN’s Supreme Court already did, which is to disagree with the district. I also hope that it gets taken care of before the kid graduates.

http://blogs.mprnews.org/newscut/2016/08/supreme-court-vindicates-model-student-expelled-for-a-knife-in-school/

21 Likes

Wow, just imagine if, instead of a knife, the kid found a clock in the backpack.

19 Likes

I just aked my wife if knifes are forbidden in her school (she’s teacher at an elementary school, south of germany). She told me knifes are tolerated as long as they are kept in the bag/trousers.
As a kid i always had a pocket knife with me, can’t imagine beeing a boy without a Sackmesser…

7 Likes

Same. I carried a pocketknife with me everywhere until a few years after 9/11. Then, security at airports and concerts would notice that I had a pocketknife and acted like I was a potential terrorist :confused:

7 Likes

Here I am, sending smoke signals, hoping someone on the Coasts picks up on them and writes my comments for me.

3 Likes

It’s a bad sign that teachable moments fly over so many administrators’ head so quickly, they don’t even see them.

Which brings to mind the possibilities of what a school could do in cases like these, like teaching kids a little bit of law. If a kid is up for a serious punishment, have them come before a tribunal, argue their case, or get a kid who’s into that kind of thing argue with/for them in exchange for extra credit. Have them call witnesses, hash out sentencing, etc…I’m sure this exists somewhere, but could actually be educational (with the right people running it, so never mind…)

8 Likes

Okay, so how do we support that family? Obviously, they could use school supplies and the like. And a tutor to help their son so he does not fall behind.

7 Likes

Insufficiently brown?

7 Likes