Kids in Philly are part of a crazy new fad: learning typewriting?

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/02/19/kids-in-philly-are-part-of-a-c.html

7 Likes

Good, good…
Next: how to set up an inconspicuous network of couriers.

14 Likes

Unless you’re Liberace, then you can use the whiteout quicker than I can say Ctrl+Z

5 Likes

Pah. Jerry Lewis could do that without a typewriter:

fa36519c5dcbf33c50e6d1a54ad9e618

13 Likes

It would be interesting to know what sort of alternatives these kids are coming from.

If your primary point of reference is a software keyboard on a small screen dominated by push notification spam Ivan imagine that a distraction-frer hard keyboard seems like a revelation.

If you are coming from a proper computer I can certainly imagine some preferring it; but there being a distinct matter-of-taste element.

2 Likes

Perhaps we could employ some sort of bird. Common and everyday, present in all urban and suburban areas, yet large enough to be able to carry a short scroll of paper. Hmmm. . . .

4 Likes

kids, is there NOTHING that technology has made better that they won’t get nostalgic over?

4 Likes

In my first year of (an all boys) high school, we had a typing class that used electric typewriters.

While pretty much everyone else from my school around that time may not care about computers, they’re not a big deal because they can all type fairly well.

ezgif.com-optimize
Interception would be far too easy.

5 Likes

Any chance you are from Philly?

I came here to post that back in 1975 I started high school at an all boys school in Philadelphia. All incoming freshman had to take a typing class. Absolutely no one I knew had ever used a typewriter before, because even if your parents used on in work 99% of the people did not have one at home.

Fast forward 35 years and my son started the same school (no longer all boys though, thanks RBG). I asked if he had to take typing. He said why would anyone have to take a typing class, everyone knows how to type.

It dawned on me that in the nineties there was a giant boom of computer typing tutors. Hell, everyone from Dvorak to Mario was offering to teach you typing, because computers came out and now every home had a keyboard, and almost no one could type. Now typing is a self learned skill children pick up naturally.

I enjoyed typing class but of course I am still horrible at it even though I sit behind a keyboard all day now. It’s hard to learn a new skill after you brain has mostly formed. Then again it could have been the pot as it was the 70s.

@Franko

Paper maps, may they burn in hell.

2 Likes

Punch the keys for gods sakes!

2 Likes

Yeah. I did typing for a while at high school. It never became ingrained though and now I still do 2 finger typing - but at least i know where the letters are so it is pretty fast, say 20wpm with a tailwind. But whenever I see someone bangin’ away at 60 words a minute I wish I could.

3 Likes

First they’re using typewriters; next they’re Wodehousing!

7 Likes

LoneImpartialIrrawaddydolphin-size_restricted

7 Likes

8 Likes

RareCheapAntelope-size_restricted

8 Likes

Mandatory 7th grade typing class on 40-50 year old manual typewriters trained me to beat the living crap out of a keyboard. Between this training and slightly odd skin chemistry, my keyboards lose the screen-printed letters in less than a year.

As a result, I’ve since learned that shockingly few people working in IT jobs know how to type.

10 Likes

Let’s be fair; that message delivery system was a delicious, plump-breasted speckley sort. What is needed here are some extremely ugly, unpalatable birds. Carrier condors?

2 Likes

Not really that inconspicuous outside rural parts of the Andes…
And let’s face it, owls would pose a similar problem.
Tits would be tough enough, I suppose.

3 Likes

Yes, Yes! You’re The Man Now Dog!
http://yourethemannowdog.ytmnd.com/

1 Like