Killfiles?

Any possibility of Discourse getting a killfile feature at some point in the future?

I find myself really wanting the ability to just turn off certain users in the comment threads.

1 Like

We have discussed this in the past, but do not have immediate plans.

see:

Thanks! Good to know.

Related: When I click on someone’s avatar image, one of the options is “toggle only posts by … in this topic.” Toggle what associated with those posts?

Spinning off from killfiles, I’d really like one more flag option: “This is nothing but gratuitously rude and argumentative flame-bait.” Sometimes someone really is trolling, and not even doing so in an entertaining manner, and I think there’s a point at which it becomes a violation of community norms and ought to be discouraged. None of the existing flags really seem appropriate, unless I’m misinterpreting one of them.

Hmm, this one should be:

Inappropriate
This post contains content that a reasonable person would consider offensive, abusive, or hate speech.

We could rephrase it to

Inappropriate
This post contains content that a reasonable person would consider offensive, abusive, or a violation of our community guidelines.

Would that help?

4 Likes

I think that’s a worthwhile change. Thanks!

Offtopic, and will never be done, but just while we’re brainstorming improvements: I sometimes think it’d be nice to be able to Like specific phrases. That could be subject to sarcastic abuse, and the data requirements would be middling unreasonable, and it can sorta be done now via quote-and-reply… Just a random neuron firing.

Feature now exists. Look in your preferences under

Users

Muted

This simply suppresses all notifications (including PMs) from that user. It does not disappear them from the world, or in fact, this discussion area.

1 Like