Kimmo's thought for the day

I just realised how much I prefer things that are complicated in simple ways to things that are simple in complicated ways.

4 Likes

Good thing we have unix-like operating systems, no?

3 Likes

So which is which then?

I don’t think I’ve ever heard an expression of gratitude for systemd. Just complaints about how grafting in something that is complicated in complicated ways is a grave betrayal of Unix principles.

(And, personally, it is these sorts of additions(in addition to babysitting Windows at work) that occasionally drive me to go hang out with OpenBSD for a while; where much less is handled for you; but you are spared the unnerving churn of automagic under your feet. Driver support usually becomes an issue; but it is calming for a while.)

3 Likes

Like building codes?

Recently I noticed systemd-journald using noticeable resources on my desktop. (Nothing like old hardware to draw attention to inefficiencies.) I looked up “what the hell is journald” and it looks like something I have never used or needed and will never use or need :confused:

I “masked” it, which is one of the new systemd things, and since then I get weird boot errors but I think stuff is a little faster and nothing else seems to be wrong.

3 Likes

The building code lists the absolute cheapest, shoddiest materials and methods that may be safely used. It’s a minimum standard of craft.

And then everyone builds their houses that way…

1 Like

Hmm… yes and no. The codes define a minimum level of overall quality, but that level is set at a certain level of quality itself. Plus the building codes are part of a larger framework of codes defining, regulating and controlling the quality of the materials used, the methods used and the qualification of the people that do the actual work, from the design phase to the execution.

As you say, yes and no. Some things have an optimum for society (I’m thinking plumbing vent stack calculations and equipment ground conductor regulations) that is reflected in the code. And some things are there because the people involved in the regulatory process are human, and therefore subject to the Dunning-Kruger effect just like every other human.

I have a house that has been around a long time. The parts of it that are built to code, are by far the shoddiest and least durable bits.

evil-dead-ash-what

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.