Happy Sysadmin Day, Ken!

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2016/07/29/happy-sysadmin-day-ken-4.html

11 Likes

Happy sysadmin day to my sysadmin who can tell I’m writing this at work on the network he manages and monitors…Please don’t tell the boss!

7 Likes

He must be taking the day. Flarn.com is refusing connections

1 Like

I’m surprised no one’s postedthis yet, but Three Dead Trolls in a Baggie covers this quite nicely:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eaIhKBYjTXA

2 Likes

Lies!!

Hilariously, I haven’t updated that page in… a decade? I really should have an online presence beyond random mutterings on Boing Boing, I guess. :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Hey, it’s accepting connections again!

1 Like

Thank you! :cake::icecream:@orenwolf

4 Likes

Wow, sysadmin day. I forgot. SAs might be a dying breed. We have devops, containers, and cloud services. It’s hard to say how things will shake out. Until then I’ll keep focused on IaC, docker, and javascript. Stay shinny!

2 Likes

I disagree.

The problem with Devops as an idea is that no one is really focused on a holistic view of infrastructure. Instead, infrastructure is a project-by-project problem, and this can easily lead to both missed opportunities for efficiency, as well as glaring, uncaught issues because everyone is minding their piece of the pie, but no one is checking the pie tin for holes, as it were.

A good operations team employs both SA’s and Devops, preferably with the latter embedded with engineering teams, so that everyone is a partner on project rollout a, while the infrastructure team knows enough in advance about changes to provide effective feedback on implementation issues or efficiencies.

Most orgs I’ve seen that are Devops only suffer from a lot of button around the edges, with old app infrastructure poorly documented, backups as an afterthought, and a heck of a lot of reinventing the wheel going on. When you get big enough, someone has to be thinking about these things full time.

4 Likes

I like to call my job DevSlops.

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
echo “kill me with a spoon, cause it’d hurt more”

3 Likes

Thank you, human!

4 Likes

Thank you, mutant!

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.