Kindle Paperwhite gets high-dpi display, better type

When traveling, I actually used it for google news reader back in the day…
j/k and space were the only keys that I needed (and arrows).

1 Like

Well, the thing is, I want to read specific books and, often, those books are only available as ebooks from Amazon. So, you know, I’m going to buy those books and then remove the DRM from them (as I’ve always done).

2 Likes

Oddly/disappointingly the voyage dissent have Bookerly yet. The flagship lux ereader gets the shaft.

Suppose I want to read scientific and technical papers/books, typically in .pdf format, and on a device that isn’t a tablet? What eBook reader should I buy (that isn’t a Sony DPT-S1; I’m not made of money)? Also, some of the papers may be 30+ megabytes, so they may choke a less capable device.

Right now I typically read them on my Nexus 7, but y’know, weight and battery. I’ve been looking for a decent eReader for these things for ages but nothing ever really comes to the top. I checked out the Kobo Aura HD and it looked nice but watched a review of the PDF functionality on Youtube and it doesn’t (didn’t?) have pinch to zoom on the device, which is sort of a pain.

2 Likes

I have good experiences with (now ancient) Pocketbook Pro 903. (902 is the same without stylus.)

Pick up a used/refurb Kindle DX. Big enough screen that you should be able to display a full page of a pdf without having to zoom in/out or move up/down to read. They’re around $130 now.

1 Like

None. No device exists for you. Get an iPad.

1 Like

Whoa there :cow: :boy:

More on topic, the Kindle Voyage screen is fucking amazing, retina eInk and as noticeable as the switch to iPhone 4 was. There is no going back. So if they have added it to the regular Paperwhite, godspeed.

1 Like

Having purchased one (and moving up from the paperwhite of last year), I must agree.

Well, like I said, I read them on my Nexus 7 already, but thanks for playing.

Anyway, an iPad won’t work for me because my DHCP server refuses to serve Apple’s pool of MAC addresses. This is a strictly no-Apple homestead.

1 Like

Yes, I read that and that’s too small for reading 8.5x11" (or A4) sheets of paper as PDFs but, hey, if you want to squint a lot… Current iPad’s have 300+ DPI screens and are 10 inches in size, making them quite good for PDFs.

And now I’ve seen you’ve brought some sort of Apple-free ideology into it. Well, good luck.

Do you work for your DHCP server, or does your DHCP server work for you?

1 Like

It’s quite possible that the server works for him, as a layer of a hipster defense system.

3 Likes

Yes, this.

What are the other components of your HDS?

who really cares? just pretend it’s custom-built hardware and let it go. i don’t need to mine bitcoin on an ereader.

1 Like

Whoever wants to own, not just play the ownership-pretending game the vendors love so much?

well… you do own the device, and drm is a non-issue. this seems like a red herring. rooting gets me nothing on a kindle. a cellphone is arguably a different story, i guess, and an actual computer is a different thing entirely.

i sort of see the ethical motivation to have a way to root the device, and i would support figuring out how to root a kindle. but since a root exists, it becomes an issue of efficiency in deciding whether or not to apply it. to me, a rooted kindle has no more marginal value than a stock kindle, so it would be 100% wasted effort. i just don’t see how it’s rational to spend any time on it.

edit: i do want to play with an e-ink display though. do you think it’d be possible to strip one out of a kindle (or buy a spare screen oh ebay) and shim it onto a raspberry pi or something? i know basically zilch about hardware.

In another context, I discovered this legal analogy.

which is useful in understanding the complexities of property law. But since the larger public does not usually think of ownership in this way, there’s a disconnect between how a manufacturer, after conferring with corporate counsel sees ownership (some ownership rights are transferred at point of sale) and how the consumer sees ownership (I own the device in toto, and any attempts to restrict the implications of this are repugnant.)

1 Like

Here are some of the benefits.
http://www.reddit.com/r/kindle/comments/1r6ltm/kindle_paperwhite_2_successfully_jailbroken/

Couple apps to run to extend functionality. Choice of less annoying screensavers. I think a choice of fonts, too. Ability to ssh in, to scp stuff back and forth, to rsync with a server, to run a http daemon for added functionality (e.g. push a screensaver image with arbitrary content from a server).

I have a rooted Kindle 4 with cracked display and am using the functional half of the display as a clock updated every minute, with a webcam background updated in 10 minute intervals.

That’s difficult. You can buy eink screens with controllers and breakout boards, ready to be attached to Raspi or other computer, but they are somewhat pricey. You can however root a kindle and connect it via USB or wifi to said raspi and use it as a smart monitor.

You may not need the root during the original lifetime of the device. It may however quite extend its life by other applications after decommissioning from the original duty. Buying rootables is what I’d therefore strongly advise towards.